Make a batch of lip balm, and you’ll wonder why you were ever willing to pay $2-3 for a tube. Seriously, lip balm is just too cheap and easy to make to hand over that kind of cash for it. Follow this recipe, and you’ll have 17 tubes (give or take) in less than 15 minutes time.
To make your own lip balm you will need:
- A solid oil (Shea butter, cocoa butter, vegetable shortening, etc.)
- A liquid oil (olive, jojoba, coconut, almond, canola, etc.)
- Essential oil for fragrance (optional)
- Lip balm tubes, pots or tins
Step 1: Measure out one part beeswax, two parts solid oil and three parts liquid oil. I used one tablespoon of beeswax, two tablespoons of Shea butter and three tablespoons of coconut oil for this batch (enough to make approximately 17 tubes).
Step 2: Heat the three ingredients in a double boiler, until melted (a Pyrex measuring cup in a pot of boiling water works perfectly for this). Do not leave the stove unattended.
Step 3: Add several drops of essential oil, and stir to combine. I added peppermint oil to mine.
Step 4: Pour the mixture into your containers. Let them sit for a minute. Then, top them off (the balm will shrink a bit as it cools).
Step 5: Allow your lip balm to cool and harden. Then, it’s ready to use. It’ll be a bit soft the first day, but will continue to harden over the next few days.
Step 6: Print labels for your lip balm, and enjoy!
Note: The labels include a field that you can customize with a name for your lip balm or anything else you’d like to add.
Tips and Hints:
- Think of your purchase of beeswax and oil as an investment. Once you have it on hand, you’ll be able to make loads of lip balm, as well as many other products like lotion bars and hair conditioner
- Tint your lip balm by mixing in a bit of lipstick or purchase lip balm tint from a soap and candle supply company
- Experiment with different oils and scents to create a lip balm that is uniquely yours. Add more beeswax for a harder balm; add more oil for a softer balm
- Keep some of your homemade lip balm on hand for easy last-minute gifts