The next time you eat an orange, save the peel; and use it to make orange extract. Here’s how:
To make your own orange extract, you will need:
- Vodka (the cheapest bottle you can find)
- (1) organic orange
- A vegetable peeler
- A pint canning jar
- Brown glass bottles
Step 1: Zest your orange. You want the orange, outer portion of the peel, but not the inner white pith (it doesn’t taste very good).
Step 2: Place your orange zest in the bottom of a jar, and cover with one cup of vodka. Make sure your zest is fully submerged.
Step 3: Screw the lid on your jar, and place it in a cool, dry spot for at least two weeks (longer is better, and will result in a stronger flavor).
Step 4: Strain out the zest, and transfer your finished orange extract to a brown glass jar. The dark color will help to preserve the color and flavor of your extract.
Step 5: Print labels for your orange extract.
- Spring for an organic orange, since you’ll be using the peel
- Whip up an extra batch or two of extract, and you’ll be all set for the next gift-giving occasion
- Want to skip the alcohol? Just replace the vodka with three parts food-grade liquid glycerin and one part water
- Save the bottles from store-bought extracts, and refill them with your homemade extracts
- You can also make your own lemon, peppermint and vanilla extract