A few years ago I decided I was done with paper napkins. Done with buying them, and done with using them. I started picking up cloth napkins at yard sales and thrift stores, and soon had more than enough. Here’s what I’ve discovered since making the switch:
- Cloth napkins are really cheap and easy to come by on the second-hand market
- It doesn’t make any real difference in the amount of laundry that we’re doing
- The kids don’t mind folding them, and if they do it while they’re hot, the napkins come out relatively wrinkle-free (ironing = not my thing)
- We use less napkins. One cloth napkin takes the place of several paper napkins because they’re bigger and more absorbent
- Cloth napkins are just nicer. They make everyday meals seem special
- It gives me the perfect excuse to buy lots of vintage linens
Do you use cloth napkins in your home? Have you thought about making the switch? I’d love to hear your thoughts.