Have peppermint growing in your garden? Go pick some, and use it to make your own peppermint extract. If you start a batch now, it’ll be ready in time for the holidays. Here’s how it’s made:
To make your own peppermint extract, you will need:
- Vodka (go with the cheapest bottle you can find)
- A handful of fresh peppermint leaves
- A pint canning jar
- Brown glass bottles
Step 1: Crumble the peppermint leaves up in your hand to bruise them. This will help to release the oils. Then, place them in the jar.
Step 2: Pour a cup of vodka over the mint. Make sure the mint is fully submerged.
Step 3: Then, screw the lid on the jar, and store it in a cool, dark place for a month (or longer).
Step 4: When your peppermint extract is ready, strain out the mint leaves, and pour the finished extract into brown bottles. This will protect it from the sunlight.
Step 5: Print labels for your bottles, and share with your friends and family.
- Want to make peppermint extract without the alcohol? Just substitute the vodka with three parts food-grade liquid glycerin and one part water
- Peppermint extract can also be made from hard peppermint candies. Just drop a handful in the vodka, and proceed with the directions
- Make an extra batch to keep on hand for the next time you need a gift
- Save the bottles from your store-bought extracts, and refill them with your own extracts
- Whip up your own lemon, orange and vanilla extract, and you’ll have lots of flavoring options when you bake