Start a batch of mashed potatoes in your crockpot, and let it do all the work for you. Here’s my recipe:
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs of potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz. cream cheese (half a block)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
What You Do:
Soak the potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes (longer is fine). This will remove some of the starch from the potatoes, so they don’t come out gluey.
Drain the potatoes, and load them into the crockpot with the broth. Cover; and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Poke the potatoes with a fork to make sure they’re done. They should give easily.
Drain the broth (and set it aside). Then, mash the potatoes with a potato masher, a ricer or an immersion blender. Make them as smooth or chunky as you’d like. If they’re a bit dry for your tastes, add back some of the broth.
Add the butter and cream cheese, and stir to combine. Then, add any herbs that you’d like (chives, parsley, etc.), and serve.
- Freeze the broth that you drained from the potatoes, and use it to make soup some time. It’ll be full of vitamins from the potatoes
- Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version
- Leave the potato peels on to bump up the nutritional value
Print the recipe card, and add it to your collection.
Make sure background colors and images are enabled in your browser before printing.