I bought this vintage folding camp chair at a yard sale a year or so back (I think I paid all of $1 for it). It wasn’t ripped at the time, but it tore shortly after we started using it. I guess it had dry-rotted.
Since the frame was still in good shape, I decided to make a new seat for it.
It had really nice upholstery tacks, so we pried them out carefully, hoping to reuse them.
When we removed the old seat, we made a fun discovery: this little camp chair had already been reupholstered once. I love that!
I had a few yards of heavy-weight canvas that I had picked up at a yard sale, thinking it would prove useful some time, and this was that time.
You may already recognize the fabric, since I’ve used it as a photo backdrop a few times.
I cut a new seat out of the canvas, using the old seat at my pattern. Then, I stretched it over the frame, and reattached it with the original upholstery tacks. So glad I was able to salvage those tacks.
After looking at the reupholstered chair, I decided it still need a little something, so I dug through my stash of embroidery floss, and stitched a row along both sides. Much better.
I can’t wait to bring it up to the cabin. I think it’ll work well as an ottoman/extra seating in the living room.
Now to get back to my other cabin project. I’ve been working on a large braided rug for the living room, made from old t-shirts. I should have it done in a couple weeks. Stay tuned for the tutorial.