We’re officially done with all the cabin demo work! We tore out the final section of wall that needed to be replaced yesterday.
We stopped by our local Salvation Army thrift store yesterday afternoon, and they had free bread again! We got hooked on this awesome freebie last year. Then, it went away, and we sure missed it. Hopefully this means it’s back to stay. I plan to use some of the flatbreads to make flatbread pizzas for dinner tonight. Yum! We’ll keep some of the sliced bread out for sandwiches this week, and stick the rest in the freezer to enjoy later.
We been running low on half-pint canning rings for a while now, but here’s the crazy thing: you can buy replacement sets of lids and rings, and you can buy replacement lids by themselves, but you can’t buy just the rings by themselves. Why is that? Ball, you’re clearly missing out on an opportunity here. Because those rings, they get rusty after a while; and we frugal types already have loads of lids. Shopping smarties that we are, we stocked up when they went on clearance at the end of last canning season. We just need rings, darn it!
Keeping up with your finances doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. Use my new Monthly Financial Snapshot printable to stay on top of bills, account balances and your financial goals. Just keep this one page up to date, and you’ll know exactly where you stand.
The kids were out on spring break this week, so we dropped them off at their grandparents for their annual visit, and headed up to our weekend homestead to squeeze in six days of work. I think that’s the longest stretch that we’ve had to work on the cabin since we bought it, and we have lots to show for it. Here’s a look at the progress:
When we started working on the cabin back in October, our first order of business was to close in the living room, so we’d have a place to stay while we worked. That meant building a back wall (since there wasn’t one), replacing all of the broken windows, tearing out the subfloor and temporarily closing the room off to the rest of the cabin. We managed to tackle all of that in one weekend, but we ran out of time when it came to laying a new sub floor. So, we just laid some plywood down, and called it good.
On this trip, we finally got a chance to finish the floor. It’s just pressure-treated plywood, nothing fancy, but it should hold up well to heavy foot traffic. I plan to porch paint it, so it’ll be easy to clean.