- 1 lb of powdered sugar (about 3–1/2 cups sifted)
- 1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- 4–5 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
Cream the butter and sugar together.
Add the vanilla, and the first 4 Tbsp of milk.
Add the last Tbsp of milk, if the frosting is too thick.
Use at room temperature, for best results.
- For Chocolate Buttercream Frosting: Add 2/3 cup cocoa powder or 3 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate (melted and cooled). If you use cocoa powder, add two more Tablespoons of milk to account for the additional dry ingredients.
- For Lemon Buttercream frosting: Omit the vanilla; and replace it with the zest and juice of one lemon.
- Makes enough to frost a 13×9 cake or a two-layer 8×8 or 9×9 cake. Also good on sugar cookies.