Cabin: Spring Update

By Erin Huffstetler | 06/05/2017 | 4 Comments
This post may contain affiliate links. View our disclosure.

It’s been almost eight months since I’ve updated you on our progress with the cabin. So, I thought I’d show you what we got done this spring.

Since February, we’ve been focused on outdoor projects.

My in-laws’ snagged a gate that their neighbor’s were getting rid of, since they knew we still needed one for our driveway. So, we kicked off the season with a little gate installation. It’s a big 16-footer, which normally retails for around $190. Yikes!

My father-in-law came up to help us install it. He had the first hole dug before my husband had even gotten all of the tools unloaded. The second hole, however, was a different story. We hit sandstone almost as soon as we started digging. We’d expected that, so we had a jack hammer with us. But, even with the jack hammer, it was slow going.

For the record, that Bud Light can by my feet isn’t mine. It’s just some litter that happened to be at the end of the driveway. I laughed when I saw it appeared in every photo that my husband had taken. Kinda makes me look like I was drinking on the job 🙂

Driveway Gate

As you can see, the gate currently has one post. We bought a hammer drill to finish the other hole, but haven’t found time to circle back to this project.

Tilled Bed

We also bush hogged and tilled the left bank of the driveway. It’s about 4,000 square feet in total. We seeded that whole area with perennial wildflower seeds. My plan is to bush hog that bank once a year (at the end of the winter). Then, let the wildflowers grow the rest of the year.

Last year, the electric company sprayed both sides of our driveway with herbicide, which didn’t make me very happy. So, I’m hoping this will prevent that going forward. I also plan to order signs from the National Wildlife Federation declaring the area a certified wildlife habitat. Anything to make them think twice about spraying our land.

Kids Playing in Tree

The kids spent an entire day playing on the tree once it was on the ground.

We had a big 70-foot oak tree taken down in front of the cabin. It had a big hollow at the bottom. Last summer that hollow was occupied by a copperhead. So, we took care of the copperhead, and now we’ve taken care of the tree. We decided to hire someone else to do it, since the hollow was on the cabin side.

It was taken down by an Amish logger. He charged us $40 to put it on the ground. That was a lot less than we were expecting, and now we have a big oak to cut up for firewood. It’s definitely good piece of mind to know that tree won’t fall on the cabin.


We also spent a fair amount of time cleaning up after these two. Our neighbor allowed his hogs to free-range all winter, and they made an absolute mess of our field. It’s taken a bunch of tilling and hole filling to repair the damage.

Asparagus Bed

I’m pleased to say my garden is finally coming together. We added several raised beds this spring, including one for asparagus. I’ll share more pictures soon, so you can see how that’s coming together.

Iron Bed

Remember the bed I made for my herbs last year? I just snagged this iron bed at a yard sale, so I can make another one. I’m keeping my eye out for two more.

Screen Door

Last week, we installed a screen door on the cabin. We kept picking them up from curb piles until we found one that fit. Someone cut a doggy door in the screen, so we need to re-screen one of the panels. Other than that, it just needs a handle, which we plan to install on our next trip.

While we were up there, we stopped by one of the Amish sawmills and placed an order for the oak board and battens that we need to finish the siding. It’ll be exciting to cross that project off of our to-do list.

So, that’s a rundown of what we’ve gotten done this spring. We have a couple big financial goals that we’re working on right now (more on that soon), so we’ve been focusing on no-cost and low-cost projects. Progress is progress.

I’m still on the lookout for doors when I’m out curb shopping and yard saling. I’m also hoping to find a couple more iron beds, a porch swing and enough decking to add a porch to the cabin. I was trying to remember where I’d shared my last curb shopping wish list, so I could see how we’re doing on that list, but I can’t seem to find it.

print this page


  1. FINALLY! was wondering what y’all had gotten done on the cabin. I LOVE seeing the pics of how things are coming along. Looks like y’all were working hard, great job! look forward to more…..

    • Ha! Yeah, I couldn’t even believe it had been eight months since the last update. I’ll share more pics of the garden soon. We’ve added several raised beds and plan to add several more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *