By Erin Huffstetler | 03/17/2019 | 6 Comments
This post may contain affiliate links. View our disclosure.
I didn’t expect to have a cabin update so soon after telling you that we weren’t going to be able to do much work on the cabin this year, but here we are!
While the girls were at my parents for spring break last week, Aaron and I decided to sneak off to the cabin to work on some roof repairs and put out a fresh batch of tick tubes.
And we had a really productive trip. We managed to knock out both projects, and I even found time to weed my raised beds and clean up the bathhouse/shed.
We felt so good about the progress we’d made, that we ended up making a second trip to work on the siding – a project that we’d been stalled on for the past couple years.
When we bought our cabin four years ago, it had oak board and batten siding on the three finished sides, and the back of the cabin was wide open.
To refresh your memory, here’s how the front of the cabin looked.
And here’s how the back of the cabin looked. View more before photos here.
To replace the busted windows and rebuild the left side wall (it was moldy and water damaged), we had to remove a lot of the existing siding. Then, once we built a back wall, it needed to be sided, too.
We were able to reuse a lot of the siding we took down, but we had to buy some replacement boards and battens from a local saw mill, and it was pretty pricey.
To save money, we decided to use cedar shakes on the backside of the cabin.
Then, we found an Amish saw mill close to our cabin with great prices, and that got us the rest of the siding we needed to finish the job. We hauled all that lumber back to the cabin two spring breaks ago, and then it just sat there. Because life sped up, and we couldn’t seem to carve out the time to finish.
Until last week, that is.
Last week, we suddenly found ourselves with both the time and the motivation to finish.
It only took us about five hours to finish the siding on the front of the cabin …
and to get the last four boards nailed up on the side of the cabin.
Now, we just lack the battens on the side of the cabin and a couple rows of cedar shakes on the backside.
The previous owners didn’t nail the battens correctly, so we also have a handful of split battens that we want to replace.
But even with those few remaining tasks, the exterior of the cabin already looks loads better.
In other cabin-related news … we went on our first curb shopping trip of the season last night, and scored five more doors for my secret cabin project. So, it looks like we may just find ways to work on the cabin this year after all. Life is nothing, if not unpredictable.