A few years ago I decided I was done with paper napkins. Done with buying them, and done with using them. I started picking up cloth napkins at yard sales and thrift stores, and soon had more than enough. Here’s what I’ve discovered since making the switch:
- Cloth napkins are really cheap and easy to come by on the second-hand market
- It doesn’t make any real difference in the amount of laundry that we’re doing
- The kids don’t mind folding them, and if they do it while they’re hot, the napkins come out relatively wrinkle-free (ironing = not my thing)
- We use less napkins. One cloth napkin takes the place of several paper napkins because they’re bigger and more absorbent
- Cloth napkins are just nicer. They make everyday meals seem special
- It gives me the perfect excuse to buy lots of vintage linens 🙂
Do you use cloth napkins in your home? Have you thought about making the switch? I’d love to hear your thoughts.