Eggplant Stew, Greek Style

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

by Suzy Karadsheh

1.5 lbs eggplant
EVOO
Kosher salt
1 large yellow onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 carrot chopped (I used two)
6 cloves garlic minced
2 dry bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp coriander (left out because I did not have it)
1 tsp dry oregano
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 28 oz can of diced or chopped tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of chickpeas (reserve the liquid)
mint or parsley for garnish

Heat oven to 400*F. Cut eggplant into cubes and place in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with the Kosher salt. Set aside for at least 20 minutes (better 1 hour) to "sweat out" any bitterness. Rinse with water and pat dry.

In a large braiser (I used my cast iron/enamel coated casserole), heat 1/4 cup EVOO over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onions, peppers, and chopped carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly, then add the garlic, bay leaf, spices and a dash of salt. Cook another minute stirring until fragrant.

Now add eggplant, chopped/diced tomato, chickpeas and their liquid. Stir to combine.

Bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes or so. Stir often. Remove from heat, cover and transfer to oven.

Cook in oven for 45 minutes or until eggplant is fully cooked and very tender. Check while cooking to see if more liquid is needed (you can add 1/2 cup water if necessary).

Remove from heat and garnish with freshly chopped mint or parsley.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Re: Eggplant Stew, Greek Style

Post by LWolfT »

Thanks, Jackie! I'll have to give this a try.