Question About Baking Powder

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
HappyDaze

Question About Baking Powder

Post by HappyDaze »

Has anyone ever had a problem with the baking powder in a recipe leaving little bits of it in your finished product? I bit into a homemade biscuit yesterday and got a bite of baking powder - I can't think of much that would taste worse than that stuff does!

Any tips on how to remedy this? I did stir it up in the container before I measured it out but what else can be done to prevent that from happening?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Prairie Waif2

Re: Question About Baking Powder

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Sheila,

I have had this happen to me as I make a lot of baking powder biscuits. My remedy for the baking powder clump in a biscuit or two was finding one of those "old fashioned" sifters at the thrift store. The kind That you can dump all your dry ingredients in and then it has a screen at the bottom and you squeeze the handle and it has a rotating "thingy" at the bottom that pushes all the dry ingredients through the screen. It mixes them as it sifts them but I still give it a couple of stirs while still dry anyway. If you can find one of those? You'r golden! I have two and would send you one if postage wasn't so outrageous from Canada to the USA.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:31 pm Sheila,

I have had this happen to me as I make a lot of baking powder biscuits. My remedy for the baking powder clump in a biscuit or two was finding one of those "old fashioned" sifters at the thrift store. The kind That you can dump all your dry ingredients in and then it has a screen at the bottom and you squeeze the handle and it has a rotating "thingy" at the bottom that pushes all the dry ingredients through the screen. It mixes them as it sifts them but I still give it a couple of stirs while still dry anyway. If you can find one of those? You'r golden! I have two and would send you one if postage wasn't so outrageous from Canada to the USA.

MJ
Thanks MJ. I do have a fine mesh sieve that would do the trick - I just have to remember to use it!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I haven't had that problem, perhaps it's because I whisk all dry ingredients together very well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:29 pm I haven't had that problem, perhaps it's because I whisk all dry ingredients together very well.
hmmmmm...I always do that too. Maybe I had some overly lumpy baking powder - it has been hanging around for awhile.

My mom said that her mother always ground the baking powder in her hand with the back of a spoon before putting it with the other ingredients. She said she remembers being very little and hearing the spoon "clink" against my grandmother's wedding ring.

Charles M. Schultz
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:46 pm hmmmmm...I always do that too. Maybe I had some overly lumpy baking powder - it has been hanging around for awhile.

My mom said that her mother always ground the baking powder in her hand with the back of a spoon before putting it with the other ingredients. She said she remembers being very little and hearing the spoon "clink" against my grandmother's wedding ring.
What a lovely memory!
Patty