Make Ahead Heat and Eat Meal Suggestions

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
HappyDaze

Make Ahead Heat and Eat Meal Suggestions

Post by HappyDaze »

I will be talking with my parents very soon about getting them on home delivered meals - it will be their Christmas, birthday, etc. gift from me.

Meanwhile, I am preparing some meals they can microwave and eat and I'm looking for some more ideas. There are no dietary restrictions other than no added salt. I have individual meal containers with lids, divided into 3 sections - all they have to do is open the lid and microwave.

So far I have:

1. Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans.
2. Slow cooker "crack chicken", toasted roll, roasted carrots
3. Macaroni and cheese, stewed tomatoes, chunky applesauce

The meals must be easy for me to make ahead and have no fancy or complicated ingredients. They will probably just be refrigerated till used (I plan on doing 3 meals per week, each) but should be able to go in the freezer too. Thank you!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Re: Make Ahead Heat and Eat Meal Suggestions

Post by SandiSAHM »

Chili - just add crackers.

All of our individual heat & eat freezer meals are chili or soups. Refrigerated usually includes a curry (which I won't freeze because of the coconut milk, though I'm not really sure if that's a problem or not - it's an 'err on the side of caution' thing) and rice to go with it.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Been thinking about this. I pretty much freeze everything extra.

Stew can be frozen and then when heated you could add buns or bread.

I do freeze curry as well as stir fries.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Both my chicken & rice casserole (so easy) and my chicken spaghetti (it's the Pioneer Woman's recipe,not as quick/easy, but uses straightforward ingredients) make a 9x13 dish. So I always freeze half for later meals. They both thaw and reheat beautifully.
Patty