Indian Butternut Squash Soup

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

There are two methods of cooking it offered in this recipe. The first is for Instant Pot. I just made it! A few minutes to saute the onions, ginger and garlic and 8 minutes in the Instant Pot, immersion blender and SOUP!! It is so good! I felt like I was eating at my favorite Indian Restaurant! (Because I am a "spicy" chick, I added chili powder as my garnish).

The second method is the traditional way of making soup, also just as good!

MJ

Servings: 4
Calories : 287
Course: Appetizer
Cuisine: American
Diet: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Method: Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker, Stovetop
Prep Time : 10 minutes
Cook Time : 15 minutes
Total Time : 25 minutes
Equipment
Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
Cutting Board
Ingredients
1x2x3x
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
1.5 lbs diced butternut squash peeled and deseeded (about 4 cups)
1 cup carrot diced
1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
3 garlic cloves minced
½ inch ginger minced
1 cup sweet onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
½ cup thick coconut milk
juice of half lime
salt to taste
For Garnish:
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 teaspoon cilantro
1 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
Instructions

Instant Pot Method:
Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add butter or oil and once it’s hot add minced garlic, ginger, onions and saute till the onions turn soft.

Then add diced butternut squash, carrots, vegetable broth (or water), red chili flakes, and salt.

Close the lid securely, and turn the vent to "SEALING". Select the PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL (High Pressure) setting and set the cooking time to 8 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally before removing the lid.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. ( Or transfer the mixture to a traditional blender in batches and puree until smooth). Adjust seasoning at this stage.

Then add thick coconut milk, red chili flakes, red chili powder, lime juice, and stir well.
It tastes really great with coconut milk but you can also replace it with milk or cream or half and half.

If you think soup is too thick, you can add water into soup and boil for 2 minutes.
Serve this Instant pot butternut squash soup with coconut milk hot and top with red chilli flakes and pumpkin seeds.

Stovetop Pot Method:
Heat oil or butter in a large pot and once it’s hot add minced garlic, ginger, onions, and saute till the onions turn soft.
Add diced butternut squash, carrots, water or vegetable stock, red chili flakes, and salt.
Cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 20-25 minutes.
Puree soup using a hand blender until smooth. If you don’t have a hand blender, puree in a blender in batches once slightly cooled.
Then add thick coconut milk, red chili flakes, red chili powder, lime juice, and stir well.
It tastes really great with coconut milk but you can also replace it with milk or cream or half and half.
Serve this creamy butternut squash soup hot and top with red chili flakes and pumpkin seeds.
Video

Notes
Variations:
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup: Add more red chili powder or red chili flakes to make the soup spicy.
Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup: You can add 1 tablespoon of Thai curry paste.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup: Add 1 tablespoon of curry powder instead of red chili powder.
Butternut Squash Apple Soup: Add a green apple, diced with butternut squash and carrots before pressure cooking.
Replacement for Coconut milk: You can use heavy whipping cream or full-fat milk or half and half in place of coconut milk.
Toppings: You can use sunflower seeds, roasted chickpeas, and cheese as an option for healthier toppings.
Fresh Herbs: use rosemary, sage, oregano, or thyme.

Tips:
Be sure to sauté the onion and ginger, garlic, in a little olive oil or butter first. The soup will have a rich flavor.

I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.

Note:Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Nutrition
Calories: 287kcalCarbohydrates: 48.8gProtein: 5.1gFat: 11gSodium: 287mgPotassium: 1123mgFiber: 12.4gSugar: 15.1gVitamin A: 3550IUVitamin C: 72.3mgCalcium: 180mgIron: 3.8mg
Hope has a good imagination.
jgomez1002

Re: Indian Butternut Squash Soup

Post by jgomez1002 »

I'm going to make this soup this week, but I am going to use a pumpkin that I have. I'll let you know how it comes out. I have an instapot that is still in the box, NEW! I have never used it. This might be a new beginning for me.

Julie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

jgomez1002 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:38 am I'm going to make this soup this week, but I am going to use a pumpkin that I have. I'll let you know how it comes out. I have an instapot that is still in the box, NEW! I have never used it. This might be a new beginning for me.

Julie
I hope you like the soup! I've been telling everyone how good it is! I know I'll be making it next time I find butternut squash "spaghetti" at the Food Rescue Grocery Store and if that takes too long? I'll buy some!

I LOVE my Instant Pot! I got mine off of FB Marketplace for only $20. It had a piece missing that I just ordered off of Amazon. I use it every week to make yogurt! It's become my new breakfast, yogurt that I make and then the granola from Sheila's Crockpot Granola Recipe. In the granola, I used almonds for the nuts and dried cranberries for the fruit. What a great breakfast and for a bedtime snack I just have the yogurt. I have used 1%, 2% and Whole milk and it turns out every time. The 1% is a bit more "watery" but that's okay because you just stir it. There is nothing that goes into the milk you use except for a few tablespoons of active yogurt (I just got a small tub of plain yogurt NO SUGAR and active cultures). I have since the first batch I made, just saved some of the yogurt and used it for the next batch. I'll give you the link to the recipe I use. It's so simple and it's like a crockpot too in that you leave it do its thing for 8 hours.

https://amindfullmom.com/instant-pot-yogurt/

Hope you like it! Let me know!!

MJ
Mrscreative2

Post by Mrscreative2 »

I really enjoyed this soup MJ. I did find my preparation time took quite a bit longer than stated on the recipe, but not surprising since I was sawing into a raw butternut squash and chopped it into small cubes.

I will definitely be making this again as the whole family liked it. This doesn’t happen often!🤣
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Mrscreative2 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:07 pm I really enjoyed this soup MJ. I did find my preparation time took quite a bit longer than stated on the recipe, but not surprising since I was sawing into a raw butternut squash and chopped it into small cubes.

I will definitely be making this again as the whole family liked it. This doesn’t happen often!🤣
I'm so glad that everyone liked it!

I have had a miserable time with whole squash. I'm kind of a klutz and am always so scared I going to cut myself really badly. I went looking online at my grocery store (Sobeys and Safeway) and :arrow: found they have butternut squash frozen and it is cheaper than buying a whole squash! I'll give that a shot for my next batch of soup which might be this weekend. Since I've been doggo sitting all week, I've missed the ability to play in my kitchen!

Now? I encourage you to give the Mexican Black Bean Soup a try! It's vegan too!

MJ