Help with Grits, please

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
HappyDaze

Help with Grits, please

Post by HappyDaze »

Anyone who eats grits, can you help me, please? I'm trying to use up a canister of instant grits (another of DD's panic purchases and something they won't eat - I'm just shaking my head here).

I know how to prepare them, the instructions are on the carton - but how in the world do you use them? Do you put cheese on them? Applesauce? Use them in recipes for other things? Can they be sweet or savory or do they have to be one or the other? Eat them like cereal? As a side dish for dinner?

I need some ideas so they don't go to waste. Thank you!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Prairie Waif2

Re: Help with Grits, please

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Happy,

When I was in US Navy boot camp in Orlando, Florida, grits was served for breakfast everyday. I loved them. I ate them as my brother, another Minnesotan transplanted to the south, told me they ate them, just like we ate cream of wheat; butter and sugar! I sure wish I could get grits in Canada!

I have also heard of people eating them with shredded cheese stirred in for a more savory dish. I think you might find more ideas if you do a google hunt.

Now you've got me wishing I had a pipeline to grits!! LOL

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Grits are sort of the American version of Italian polenta and can be either sweet or savory. They are highly versatile:

https://www.yummly.com/recipes/vegan-grits
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am Happy,

When I was in US Navy boot camp in Orlando, Florida, grits was served for breakfast everyday. I loved them. I ate them as my brother, another Minnesotan transplanted to the south, told me they ate them, just like we ate cream of wheat; butter and sugar! I sure wish I could get grits in Canada!

I have also heard of people eating them with shredded cheese stirred in for a more savory dish. I think you might find more ideas if you do a google hunt.

Now you've got me wishing I had a pipeline to grits!! LOL

MJ
MJ, if I find there are more grits stashed than the canister I know about, I am willing to be your supplier at no cost to you - so they aren't wasted!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:44 am Grits are sort of the American version of Italian polenta and can be either sweet or savory. They are highly versatile:

https://www.yummly.com/recipes/vegan-grits
Thank you, Mackie. I love that website and have it bookmarked. Did you see the recipe for the grits with cranberries and almonds? YUM! I want to try that one for sure!

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Yes, I want to try that one too. I have a box of cheese grits packets at home that I got practically free with a coupon and have been pondering what to do with it. I've eaten a few with some fish and herbs on top, but didn't have any new ideas.
Mackie