Simple Lentil Soup

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
SandiSAHM

Simple Lentil Soup

Post by SandiSAHM »

I just read Janet's request for this in the $1 meals thread, sorry to have missed it last year:

Lentil Soup

1 pound green or brown lentils, rinsed
8 cups water
2 stalks celery, cut in half (or diced, depends on whether you want to eat the celery)*
1 cup finely chopped onion
4-6 garlic cloves, minced or crushed

Simmer the above together in on low/medium heat for 30-40 minutes until lentils are soft. If desired, remove the celery stalks and discard. Then add:

3-1/2 tsp of salt, or to taste
1 tsp cumin (I use 1-1/2 to 2 tsp)
1 tsp dried spearmint (I use 2 tsp)
3-4 tablespoons EVOO

Stir & serve hot.

*MOST of the above is shared how it was given to me. It's better, IMO if you dice the celery and leave it in. It's also better, IMO, if instead of starting it all together, you sautee the onions, garlic and celery together for a few minutes in a bit of the oil, add the lentils and cook it all together a few minutes, THEN add the water and bring it all to a boil before taking it back down to simmer. 35 minutes works for us, we're not fans of mush (the original recipe recommends a 1-hour cooking time - never did it that way).

We love the cumin/spearmint combination and tend to amp it up a little, but 1 tsp of each is a good place to start. Also, it tends to be thick when using brown lentils, which we like, but you can add more water 'tl the consistency suits you. It freezes well.