Quinoa-Feta salad

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
MackerelCat

Quinoa-Feta salad

Post by MackerelCat »

This is based on the "Jennifer Anniston Bulgur-Chickpea Salad" that was making the rounds a while back. I could not find bulgur wheat at the grocery store. If you can, go for it!

1 cup dry quinoa, cooked and cooled
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 whole English cucumber, the long skinny kind, quartered and sliced
1 can of chick peas, drained
1/3 cup diced red onion
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon or more of dry herbs of your choice: I used some herbs de Provence.
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the first five ingredients together in a large bowl. Juice the lemons, pick out any stray seeds, and mix with the olive oil to make a dressing. Pour the dressing on the salad and mix. Add the herbs, salt and pepper. Let chill and taste to see if more seasoning is needed.

Note: The quinoa will make about 3.5 cups cooked. The can of chick peas is about 2 cups. I used the entire 3.5 oz package of Athenos reduced fat traditional feta cheese crumbles because there was little left in it after taking out a half cup.

The original recipe is very much a Greek salad and called for a half cup each of chopped fresh mint and parsley, which also was not available to me, but the moistness of this salad softens dried herbs nicely. Any dried herb blend you enjoy will work. Even an inexpensive Italian seasoning blend will be good, as long as the bottle is fresh.

The original recipe also called for pistachios instead of almonds, but pistachios are $8 something for a little bag of shelled ones. A small can of lightly salted roasted almonds will make this recipe twice with snacks left over for about $4.

This is a bit expensive to make the first time, but you'll have almonds and quinoa left over. It makes a huge salad: I ate a lunch-sized bowl of it for five days!
Mackie
Mrscreative

Re: Quinoa-Feta salad

Post by Mrscreative »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:03 pm This is based on the "Jennifer Anniston Bulgur-Chickpea Salad" that was making the rounds a while back. I could not find bulgur wheat at the grocery store. If you can, go for it!

1 cup dry quinoa, cooked and cooled
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 whole English cucumber, the long skinny kind, quartered and sliced
1 can of chick peas, drained
1/3 cup diced red onion
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon or more of dry herbs of your choice: I used some herbs de Provence.
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the first five ingredients together in a large bowl. Juice the lemons, pick out any stray seeds, and mix with the olive oil to make a dressing. Pour the dressing on the salad and mix. Add the herbs, salt and pepper. Let chill and taste to see if more seasoning is needed.

Note: The quinoa will make about 3.5 cups cooked. The can of chick peas is about 2 cups. I used the entire 3.5 oz package of Athenos reduced fat traditional feta cheese crumbles because there was little left in it after taking out a half cup.

The original recipe is very much a Greek salad and called for a half cup each of chopped fresh mint and parsley, which also was not available to me, but the moistness of this salad softens dried herbs nicely. Any dried herb blend you enjoy will work. Even an inexpensive Italian seasoning blend will be good, as long as the bottle is fresh.

The original recipe also called for pistachios instead of almonds, but pistachios are $8 something for a little bag of shelled ones. A small can of lightly salted roasted almonds will make this recipe twice with snacks left over for about $4.

This is a bit expensive to make the first time, but you'll have almonds and quinoa left over. It makes a huge salad: I ate a lunch-sized bowl of it for five days!
This sounds really good Mackie and I am definitely going to try it. No need to worry about me not having almonds or quinoa, lol! They have become staples since I went vegetarian.