Easy Mexican Black Bean Soup

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

This recipe is for the Instant Pot but to convert it to regular soup making, I would saute the onions, red pepper, garlic together and then just toss the rest in to the soup pot and cook like normal. It may take less than half an hour or however long you want the flavors to blend.

MJ
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, diced (I used a medium size)
3 (540mL/19oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 tbsp lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
1 cup frozen corn (I used a small can of regular corn)
1 red pepper, diced (I used a rather large one)
6 cups vegetable broth

Topping ideas
green onions
cilantro
tortilla chips
lime wedges
sour cream

Instructions
Add all ingredients to Instant Pot in the order in which they are listed, except for toppings. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 5 minutes.
Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
Serve in large bowls, add toppings, then serve and enjoy.

Notes
Mash up some of the beans after cooking to thicken up the soup. (I didn't do this, I liked it without)

If all you have are raw dried black beans, soak 2 cups of dried beans in hot water before cooking. Cook them with 6 cups of liquid for 30 minutes on high in the Instant Pot. Let the steam release naturally for 20 minutes before removing the lid.
Store this soup in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat on the stovetop, in the microwave or the Instant Pot.
Freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal or microwave from frozen for 7-8 minutes.

Nutrition
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 981mg | Potassium: 1108mg | Fiber: 26g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1177IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 6mg
Hope has a good imagination.
Mrscreative

Re: Easy Mexican Black Bean Soup

Post by Mrscreative »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:17 am Easy Mexican Black Bean Soup

This recipe is for the Instant Pot but to convert it to regular soup making, I would saute the onions, red pepper, garlic together and then just toss the rest in to the soup pot and cook like normal. It may take less than half an hour or however long you want the flavors to blend.

MJ
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, diced (I used a medium size)
3 (540mL/19oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 tbsp lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
1 cup frozen corn (I used a small can of regular corn)
1 red pepper, diced (I used a rather large one)
6 cups vegetable broth

Topping ideas
green onions
cilantro
tortilla chips
lime wedges
sour cream

Instructions
Add all ingredients to Instant Pot in the order in which they are listed, except for toppings. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 5 minutes.
Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
Serve in large bowls, add toppings, then serve and enjoy.

Notes
Mash up some of the beans after cooking to thicken up the soup. (I didn't do this, I liked it without)

If all you have are raw dried black beans, soak 2 cups of dried beans in hot water before cooking. Cook them with 6 cups of liquid for 30 minutes on high in the Instant Pot. Let the steam release naturally for 20 minutes before removing the lid.
Store this soup in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat on the stovetop, in the microwave or the Instant Pot.
Freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal or microwave from frozen for 7-8 minutes.

Nutrition
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 981mg | Potassium: 1108mg | Fiber: 26g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1177IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 6mg
Just wondering MJ - what do you do with the rest of the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I tasted it, and it certainly has quite a bite to it with just the two peppers. I also only added two cans of beans as I thought three would just be too much!

Thanks, Creative
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Hello Creative!

I just placed them in a Ziplock bag and put them in the refrigerator. They lasted for over a month when I made the next batch. I also think they would freeze well in a ziplock as they are already cooked well and would be like any other cooked item.

MJ

Did you like the soup? I like it with the three cans of beans and think next time I might add more corn.
Hope has a good imagination.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

I did enjoy it but found it extremely spicy. I won’t add the black pepper next time. I added some cooked brown rice to mine just to cut the spiciness. I ended up freezing the chipotle peppers as I hate food waste.

Creative