sweet fire pickles

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
casadekitty

sweet fire pickles

Post by casadekitty »

My family loves these:

1 jar of bread and butter slices ....I use Aldi's
1 scant cup sugar
1 clove garlic cut in 2 pieces
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes ....depends on your comfort level of heat.

Drain pickle juice into a saucepan, add the rest of listed ingredients, bring to a low boil stirring once in a while, simmer 5 minutes and then take out the garlic if you are not a garlic lover...pour back over the pickle slices recap with the lid, turn jar upside down on a towel and the jar will probably reseal itself. Let the pickles set a day of longer to get flavored up and then enjoy. Store in fridge.

The longer they set the hotter they get so keep that in mind. :lol:
JCKitty
Prairie Waif2

Re: sweet fire pickles

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

JCKitty!

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My next trip to the store, I' getting bread and butter pickles and making a batch of these!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

casadekitty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:28 am My family loves these:

1 jar of bread and butter slices ....I use Aldi's
1 scant cup sugar
1 clove garlic cut in 2 pieces
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes ....depends on your comfort level of heat.

Drain pickle juice into a saucepan, add the rest of listed ingredients, bring to a low boil stirring once in a while, simmer 5 minutes and then take out the garlic if you are not a garlic lover...pour back over the pickle slices recap with the lid, turn jar upside down on a towel and the jar will probably reseal itself. Let the pickles set a day of longer to get flavored up and then enjoy. Store in fridge.

The longer they set the hotter they get so keep that in mind. :lol:
JCKitty
Greetings Kitty!

I made your Sweet Fire Pickles about a week or two ago. I used the full teaspoon of red pepper flakes. My first taste I thought, Oh, those are nice and sweet, and then the heat hit. Just PERFECT!! I love them!

Now a question. Do you use the leftover juice when the pickles are gone for any other purpose? The last pickled egg recipe for me didn't turn out to be that good. I wondered how this would work and would you heat up the juice to pour over the eggs? Or any other use?

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

MJ,
I use pickled beet juice to pickle eggs, however....the DD said she was going to trying mixing this pickle juice with the beet juice and see what happens...will let you know.
JCKitty

I use this leftover juice to marinate chicken before breading or grilling. Supposedly Chik-fil-a uses pickle juice to marinate theirs so I figured why not try it.