DIY Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
colonialgirl

DIY Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix

Post by colonialgirl »

I made up a half recipe of this and it filled a quart mason jar, but posting the original recipe here.

4 cups low fat powdered milk
1 & 1/2 cups cornstarch
I cup dried mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup beef broth powder
2 TBSp powdered thyme
2 TBSP basil
1 TBSP black pepper
1/2 TBSP parsley
1/2 TBSP garlic powder

Mix all of the items together in a large bowl with a wisk. I stored in a mason jar with a tight lid. Keep in cool dry space.

To make cream of mushroom soup equivalent to one 10 and 1/2 oz can, bring 1 and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small pan. Stir in 1/3 cup of mix, bring back to a slow boil and then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

I used all dried spices and got the beef powder and dehydrated mushrooms at the Amish store near my home. Both are available on Amazon if you cannot find them locally.

Hope you like it!

AuntBridget

Re: DIY Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix

Post by AuntBridget »

CG

I am going to try your recipe......I was wondering if you found the dried mushrooms to be chewy ??

I had purchased a dry mushroom soup mix from our local Amish community and fond that the mushrooms in it seemed chewy. Perhaps I just wasn't letting the soup cook long enough.
Last edited by AuntBridget on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aunt Bridget

blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

This sounds great! I am going to use it with my crockpot porkchops. that would be a nice sauce and I will just add a can of mushrooms as that is what I have in stock. I will most likely serve it with some garlic smashed potatoes as I have to use them up! cj

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Hi Bridget -
I am sorry I did not see this question - I was not ignoring you. I have only used it once, but my mushrooms were not tough. I did chop them a little smaller than they were though before cooking them. They were slices of full sized mushrooms and I wanted them to be more mushroom bits like the canned soup - so I just did a rough chop with my chef's knife before I threw them in. I also cooked it a little longer because I wanted to allow enough time in case it did not get done enough when I was ready to pour it on my roast. So mine probably cooked an extra 4-5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

CJ - I hope you like it - let me know. Like I said - not nearly as salty - but that is what I was looking for.

suzin.e.h

Post by suzin.e.h »

Yes...I did find the dried mushrooms were chewy...so what I did was soak all the dried mushrooms I had in a fairly small amount of water for several hours, just enough to cover...put all of it in the blender and blended it to a puree....then I filled up my ice cube trays with the puree and froze it...I keep them in the freezer in a zip lock bag....when I want mushrooms in soups I just take out a cube or two for the soup....