Tomato Bisque

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
SandiSAHM

Tomato Bisque

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's that time of year! Soup!

What the recipe calls for ... and what I use, in cases where it's different ;)

Tomato Bisque

2-1/2 tablespoons butter (I use veg oil, DH has inherent cholesterol issues)
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped (3-4 celery ribs work fine, more veg!)
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil (or about 1 tsp of fresh, snipped in half)
pinch of ground cloves
2 tablespoons flour (I skip the flour altogether, it doesn't change results)
Two 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes in puree or juice
(when I use canned, I use fire-roasted. Otherwise,
chop up about 4-5 cups of very ripe tomatoes, roast
them with salt, and put them & all juices in the pot)
2-1/2 cups veg stock or water (I use a GF veg bouillon cube & water)
a can of tomato paste, if you want it - and you will, it adds depth to the flavor

1-1/2 cups of milk (I use 3/4 cup alternative milk & 3/4 cup half n half, weird but it tastes good :D )

Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, basil, and cloves, cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is limp (5 minutes). Stir in the flour if you decide to use it, then add the tomatoes and stock/water. Bring it all to a boil, then lower the heat & simmer for 20 minutes. Let it cool, then blend it smooth.

Return it to the pot, reheat, add the milk, and season with salt.

It refrigerates & reheats well, I've never frozen it, not sure it would recover. It never lasts long enough to try it anyway ;)
alliesmama4

Re: Tomato Bisque

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi thank you so much.. This looks very yummy.. I will be making this tomorrow. I have been sick lately and one of my comfort foods has always been tomato soup and grilled cheese. I really appreciate how quickly you responded to the request. I know writing recipes can be difficult and time consuming.

I would most likely eat this until it is gone.. I never get tired of tomato soup. This will become a staple in my house I am sure. Thanks again..

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama