Sugar Cream Pie

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
2dogs+someCats

Sugar Cream Pie

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

This is a really cheap-to-make dessert, plus a little piece goes a long way because of how sweet it is.

Combine: 1 C. Sugar, 2/3 C. Brown Sugar, 1/2 C. Flour, 1/8 Tsp. Nutmeg. Mix well.

Pour in 1 Cup of boiling water. Stir well.

Add 1 Cup of milk (soy or almond milk work) and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.

Pour into pie plate lined with pie crust. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes then 350 for 40 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
Jackielou

Re: Sugar Cream Pie

Post by Jackielou »

Sounds decadent.

I am going to copy this out and give it a try when we want something really sweet.

Thanks.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:19 am Sounds decadent.

I am going to copy this out and give it a try when we want something really sweet.

Thanks.
Jackie, it is a very simple and basic dessert - I think perhaps the type of pie they would have made "back in the day" when times were hard, etc. It is also very similar to a pie my (former) Amish Mother-In-Law used to make.

I just like it because it is so simple and basic and so cheap to make and very delicious.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:34 pm This is a really cheap-to-make dessert, plus a little piece goes a long way because of how sweet it is.

Combine: 1 C. Sugar, 2/3 C. Brown Sugar, 1/2 C. Flour, 1/8 Tsp. Nutmeg. Mix well.

Pour in 1 Cup of boiling water. Stir well.

Add 1 Cup of milk (soy or almond milk work) and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.

Pour into pie plate lined with pie crust. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes then 350 for 40 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
I am going to try this. Inspired to do so after watching a documentary program about the origin of various pies. This pie seems to have deep Southern roots. I never heard of this kind of pie until I saw the show. The filling may taste similar to Canadian butter tart filling.

Creative
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Mrscreative wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 am I am going to try this. Inspired to do so after watching a documentary program about the origin of various pies. This pie seems to have deep Southern roots. I never heard of this kind of pie until I saw the show. The filling may taste similar to Canadian butter tart filling.

Creative
Creative, please do let me know how you like it and if it is similar to the Canadian butter tart. This is one of my favorite desserts - simple yet so good! I almost always have the ingredients to make it on hand.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

HappyDaze - I finally did try this recipe. It’s very rich as you said. But not quite as heavy as butter tarts, because we usually add raisins and chopped walnuts. And also the secret ingredient of corn syrup to my mother’s recipe anyway. Thanks so much for sharing!