What's for Supper?

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
MackerelCat

What's for Supper?

Post by MackerelCat »

Share your frugal and delicious supper ideas!

Tonight I looked into the freezer and wanted something hearty for a winter evening that would last for several meals. We had a couple of packages of lamb, not chops but more like a shoulder steak with the bones in,. Each pack had two little steaks in it. (Some weeks back, lamb was the least expensive meat at the grocery store. I have no idea why, since it was flown in from Australia.)

I took a pack out of the freezer to thaw and read a few recipes in the Fanny Farmer Cookbook for lamb dishes. Most of them had in common onion, carrots, rosemary, thyme, and fresh ground black pepper. All of this we had on hand. So the lamb was trimmed off the bone and cubed, then browned in butter with half a big diced sweet Spanish onion and three peeled and sliced carrots.

I added the herbs and pepper, poured in two and a half cups of water, a cup of frozen peas, a half cup of quick cooking barley and one chicken stock cube and one beef stock cube. Added a shake of garlic salt and a few drops of Worchestershire. Kept it stirred and let it cook down some until the barley was done and the lamb was very tender. Served it with some Parker House rolls from the freezer.

Oh, my word! If you like lamb, this was delicious! And it stretched what would have been two skimpy servings of lamb to four generous bowls of soup.
Mackie
LWolfT

Re: What's for Supper?

Post by LWolfT »

Mackie, that sounds wonderful! Been ages since I've found affordable lamb ...
At my house, pot roast. English roast from the freezer, cooked in the crockpot with carrots, potatoes, and celery and a package of seasoning mix from Aldi. Oh, yeah ...
randamax

Post by randamax »

I wish I liked lamb, but I just don't =( I've tried many times over the years, but it just isn't my thing. But the lamb dish sounds delicious!

Tonight at our house it's easy peasy night: homemade egg salad sandwiches on thickly sliced bread, wavy potato chips and fresh fruit (blueberries from last week's Aldi haul and a pineapple from the week before's Aldi haul).

Tomorrow I'm trying something new for me: chicken marsala. I recently found a recipe and thought it sounded yummy so we're going to give it a try. Wish me luck!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Pumpkin, white bean & wild rice bisque. With cornbread and butter.

Cold out; soup's warm and DH loves it.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

All of this sounds so delicious tonight!

The lamb and barley soup was the mildest tasting lamb I've ever cooked. Lamb can almost be gamey like venison. Something about the butter and the barley smoothed it right out and it made a soup that was rich with a good depth of flavor.
Mackie
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

I had another bowl of my Blackeyed Soup, a slice of cornbread, and applesauce for dinner. I think the soup was even better after sitting in the refrigerator all afternoon. I got a total of 8 servings from the batch I made this morning. That will hit the spot on a cold evening. I will take it out of the freezer to let it thaw a little in the fridge before microwaving when I am ready for some again.

Mackie, I have never acquired a taste for lamb no matter how I cooked it. I could substitute some stew meat in with your ingredients and that would suit my taste. Good thinking on stretching the meat you had. Stew meat has gotten so expensive that I get a small chuck roast and cut it into bite-sized pieces to make my soups and stews.