Wanted: fruit or veggie salad recipes

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Mrscreative

Re: Wanted: fruit or veggie salad recipes

Post by Mrscreative »

littlemiss63 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:17 am You can turn almost any veggie into a salad with this topping. A guy that I worked with took me and another girl home with him for lunch one day and his wife served this. You all may not like it but, I thought it was delicious. She served it over fresh butter beans from her garden.

Vegetable Sauce for Cooked or Raw Veggies - Mrs. Jessie Akers

2 grated hard-cooked eggs
1/2 wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
1 cup Kraft mayonnaise
2 tbsp chopped green onion
2 ½ tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Take the eggs and grate on a food grater or use a food processor. Keep some chunks in there. In a mixing bowl, put the remaining ingredients, mix well, now add the eggs. Refrigerate to meld the flavors together. When ready to serve spoon over hot vegetable or use as a dip for raw ones. You can use green beans, carrots, shoe peg corn, asparagus, just drain veggies good and pat with paper towel to prevent diluting marinade.

Gayle, us Southerns like Succotash and this is a recipe that I enjoy that I got from a Martha Stewart Magazine.This is a hearty Southern dish that can be served as an entree, alongside with fried chicken or pork chops.

Succotash - Serves 8

1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded, de-veined, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium zucchini, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 10-ounce packages frozen lima beans, rinsed under warm running water and drained
3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (4 ears)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves

In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add bell peppers, zucchini, lima beans, and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in herbs, and serve.
I would like to try your succotash recipe. I am about as unSouthern as you can get being Canadian, but I love food from all over the world. I will just have to order some frozen Lima beans. I hope they’re available but if not I suppose I could use rinsed canned ones.
frugalmom

Re: Wanted: fruit or veggie salad recipes

Post by frugalmom »

Oh so many things you can do! Tell us what vegetables you like and we can also come up with recipes for you.

Ok I know this is not very healthy but the kids will like this. We make a sugar cookie pizza (you can use the cookie dough in the tubes if you want to save time or you can use your own snickerdoodle or sugar cookie recipe) and then after baking you can add cut fruits on top of like yogurt (like strawberry yogurt)-some use like frosting or whipped cream, I like yogurt. I add slices of kiwi, blueberries, bananas, strawberries, pineapple, whatever your favorite fruits are! Also, make mango lassis with plain yogurt and mango slices with sugar or Truvia/Splenda (if you cannot have sugar). You can have it thick or thin it out with some water or ice. Kids love orange Julius-vanilla, orange juice, and if I remember correctly vanilla ice cream and ice. I haven't made any of these in a long time as my kids are now older and my youngest does not like sweets (strange child,I know). In fact, he complains when I make something sweet! Oh and you can make a fruit salad with lime squeezed or lemon and add poppy seed dressing. YOu can also make ambrosia with coconut flakes and assorted fruit and add whipped cream and mix. I think some use marshmallow cream or just marshmallows-I do not do that.

Vegetables-some easy dishes-frozen corn and beans Southwestern packet thawed, mix olive oil, salt, and pepper, cajun seasoning or creole or southwestern (anything a bit spicy if you like spicy). This can be served as a salad, with pasta or a tortilla, wrapped and fried, or eaten as is in a warm tortilla. You can add cheese to the tortillas and make quesadillas too. Many vegetables taste great as a basic stirfry-heat oil to high and saute cut vegetables with garlic and add soy sauce or Maggi sauce and garlic powder. You can make it vegetarian or add meat(you cook, eat first in that case with soy sauce, garlic powder and saute in oil then when halfway, then add vegetables-another recipe you can add oyster sauce like maybe a cooking spoon or two full and then add water and cornstarch near the end to make a sauce. Like broccoli and chicken and serve over rice. Another way is to roast vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, squash,etc drizzle with olive oil and salt,pepper,garlic powder and roast for 30-35 minutes.

I also cut the zucchini and yellow squash and red onions and make huli huli chicken kebobs or lamb kabobs roasted in the oven. Kids love these!