Wanted: fruit or veggie salad recipes

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
gaylejackson2

Wanted: fruit or veggie salad recipes

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dear friends,

I need to eat more fruit & veggie salads but cannot remember even 1/4 of the ones that Mom used to make, so I’m turning to you all for help.

Will you please share, on this thread, any raw fruit or veggie salads?

Thanks.
AuntBridget

Re: Wanted: fruit or veggie salad recipes

Post by AuntBridget »

I make a marinated veggie salad.

I just cut up whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand and then put a zesty italian dressing on it. Right now we have a bottle of Olive Garden Italian Dressing at home. You could also just put a simple oil and vinegar dressing on it.

I plan to make one tomorrow as I like to add it to a bowl of lettuce and then add some grilled chicken or tuna for my lunch. I don't add any extra dressing this way.

The vegetables that I will put in it tomorrow will be, celery, red onion, radishes, cauliflower, rainbow carrots, sweet red pepper, and sugar snap peas.
Aunt Bridget
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

Do you like cottage cheese ?

A nice way to get some veggies in is to make garden ranch cottage cheese.

Pour a 24 oz carton of cottage cheese into a bowl. Dice up 1/2 cucumber, 2 green onions, 1 roma tomato, and 1/4 of a package of ranch dressing mix. Mix it all together.

The amounts can be adjusted depending on the size of your vegetables and your personal preference.

I used to make this for my mom and she would have it for her lunch along with a couple crackers.
Aunt Bridget
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

You can turn almost any veggie into a salad with this topping. A guy that I worked with took me and another girl home with him for lunch one day and his wife served this. You all may not like it but, I thought it was delicious. She served it over fresh butter beans from her garden.

Vegetable Sauce for Cooked or Raw Veggies - Mrs. Jessie Akers

2 grated hard-cooked eggs
1/2 wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
1 cup Kraft mayonnaise
2 tbsp chopped green onion
2 ½ tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Take the eggs and grate on a food grater or use a food processor. Keep some chunks in there. In a mixing bowl, put the remaining ingredients, mix well, now add the eggs. Refrigerate to meld the flavors together. When ready to serve spoon over hot vegetable or use as a dip for raw ones. You can use green beans, carrots, shoe peg corn, asparagus, just drain veggies good and pat with paper towel to prevent diluting marinade.

Gayle, us Southerns like Succotash and this is a recipe that I enjoy that I got from a Martha Stewart Magazine.This is a hearty Southern dish that can be served as an entree, alongside with fried chicken or pork chops.

Succotash - Serves 8

1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded, de-veined, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium zucchini, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 10-ounce packages frozen lima beans, rinsed under warm running water and drained
3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (4 ears)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves

In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add bell peppers, zucchini, lima beans, and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in herbs, and serve.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I love to make fruit salads using a combination of fresh and canned fruits. For the fresh, I slice a banana and cut up and apple. I add some canned pineapple and either a canned or a fresh mandarin orange. You could also put grapes in this concoction.

I add a little fruit juice - no other dressing. If I want to get fancy, I toss in some dried cranberries and coconut.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jstore97

Post by jstore97 »

Has anyone mentioned cucumber/onion?

Jan