Wanted: Super Simple Recipes Using Canned Pie Filling

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
HappyDaze

Re: Wanted: Super Simple Recipes Using Canned Pie Filling

Post by HappyDaze »

jstore97 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 am I would use the cherry pie filling in dump cake! There are many variations but the main parts are dry yellow cake mix, pie filling, crushed pineapple and butter. It comes out like a cobbler. I only make it when I am going to a potluck because I will eat the whole pan! It is incredibly unhealthy and super sweet.

Jan
Jan, this turned out AMAZING! I'm sure it would have been "better" - maybe - if I had butter - but #1, I'm trying to eat vegan and #2, I'm doing substitutions for a lot of things rather than going to the store for things. So, anyway, back to the cake...thank you SO much for this recipe, it is delicious!

I did pick up a yellow cake mix and Dollar Tree yesterday (I was there for other things I needed) and used that. I had chunk pineapple so I mashed it up and used that. I save all the juice off my canned fruit and use it in smoothies, etc. - I just spooned a little pineapple juice over the top and let it cook in the slow cooker about 4 hours on low.

I ate some yesterday and have 6 servings portioned out for my breakfasts this week. I want a break from cereal and I feel like treating myself - this dump cake is SO GOOD with coffee! Thanks again.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:21 am Oh littlemiss,, that sounds SO good, it's what I'm going to do with the peach pie filling! I have everything but the cherries - I'm going to use blueberries instead because I have an abundance of those in my freezer. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Shelia, I see no reason that blueberries wouldn't work beautifully in it. I hope you like it and I will be looking forward to seeing if you do. I can't imagine anyone wanting to throw away this wonderful filling and not moving it. That stuff isn't cheap either, you scored.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:25 am Shelia, I see no reason that blueberries wouldn't work beautifully in it. I hope you like it and I will be looking forward to seeing if you do. I can't imagine anyone wanting to throw away this wonderful filling and not moving it. That stuff isn't cheap either, you scored.
Littlemiss, I was surprised at first that my parents didn't want to keep the pie fillings - then I remembered that they go to an Amish bakery (yep, still going - can't make them stay home and stopped trying) to get pies, cinnamon rolls, etc.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:49 pm Littlemiss, I was surprised at first that my parents didn't want to keep the pie fillings - then I remembered that they go to an Amish bakery (yep, still going - can't make them stay home and stopped trying) to get pies, cinnamon rolls, etc.
I haven't bought any pies at my Amish Bakery since I make a good pie myself, but the cinnamon rolls, yum, yum, yum. They can't be beat. If I lived close to one I'd probably take the chance of going myself. I live in Tennessee and my closest one is over the line in Kentucky about 50 miles, but I go every chance I get. The bakery there also makes a pumpkin roll that is out of this world. I always buy at least two and if I am stingy they last me several months by freezing them.
jstore97

Post by jstore97 »

Glad you liked it. It's definitely yummy!

Jan
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:25 am Shelia, I see no reason that blueberries wouldn't work beautifully in it. I hope you like it and I will be looking forward to seeing if you do. I can't imagine anyone wanting to throw away this wonderful filling and not moving it. That stuff isn't cheap either, you scored.
Well, so much for that plan, littlemiss - I was looking forward to making and eating that fruit salad but I'm feeling just so lazy lately in regard to that sort of thing - all my energy is being used for work.

I ended up opening the peach pie filling and have been using it to sweeten my oatmeal in the mornings. Just a couple of little spoons of it sweetens a whole big bowl of oats and gives them a good flavor. I add a few blueberries too - so it's kind of like "fruit salad oatmeal." :-)

Charles M. Schultz