Goulash for Gayle

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
littlemiss63

Goulash for Gayle

Post by littlemiss63 »

Goulash

2 cups uncooked macaroni (use rice pasta or gluten-free pasta for gluten-free version)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 yellow onion, chopped (or mixed chopped green onion greens and yellow onion)
¼ cup of green & red bell peppers (optional)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 large can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Start cooking the pasta: Get a large pot of salted hot water (1 tablespoon of salt for 2 quarts of water) heating and begin cooking the macaroni as per the directions on the macaroni package.

Brown the beef and onions: While the water is heating and macaroni cooking, prepare the sauce. In a skillet, brown the ground beef in a tablespoon of olive oil on high heat. Stir only infrequently so that the ground beef has an opportunity to brown.

When the beef has mostly browned, add the onions and peppers to the pan and toss to combine. Cook until the onions are soft, about 4-6 minutes. Drain off grease.

Add seasonings: celery seed, dash of crushed red pepper, seasoned salt . Then add the canned tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce, stir to combine then stir into cooked ground beef. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Save about a ½ cup of the pasta water. Add cooked macaroni and the parsley. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add in some of the pasta water if the dish is to dry. Add freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Spoon into a pretty casserole dish to serve. Serves 4

Note: Gayle, I use to put a bread crumb topping on mine, but now to save calories I don’t., but your children might like that. Make your standard bread crumb topping using bread crumbs and butter, sprinkle over the top and pop into the oven for a few minutes till it’s brown. I would just broil mine for I wanted the goulash to be moist. The recipe says it will serve 4, but I could serve 4 and have leftovers from it. Enjoy!
gaylejackson2

Re: Goulash for Gayle

Post by gaylejackson2 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:05 pm Goulash

2 cups uncooked macaroni (use rice pasta or gluten-free pasta for gluten-free version)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 yellow onion, chopped (or mixed chopped green onion greens and yellow onion)
¼ cup of green & red bell peppers (optional)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 large can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Start cooking the pasta: Get a large pot of salted hot water (1 tablespoon of salt for 2 quarts of water) heating and begin cooking the macaroni as per the directions on the macaroni package.

Brown the beef and onions: While the water is heating and macaroni cooking, prepare the sauce. In a skillet, brown the ground beef in a tablespoon of olive oil on high heat. Stir only infrequently so that the ground beef has an opportunity to brown.

When the beef has mostly browned, add the onions and peppers to the pan and toss to combine. Cook until the onions are soft, about 4-6 minutes. Drain off grease.

Add seasonings: celery seed, dash of crushed red pepper, seasoned salt . Then add the canned tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce, stir to combine then stir into cooked ground beef. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Save about a ½ cup of the pasta water. Add cooked macaroni and the parsley. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add in some of the pasta water if the dish is to dry. Add freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Spoon into a pretty casserole dish to serve. Serves 4

Note: Gayle, I use to put a bread crumb topping on mine, but now to save calories I don’t., but your children might like that. Make your standard bread crumb topping using bread crumbs and butter, sprinkle over the top and pop into the oven for a few minutes till it’s brown. I would just broil mine for I wanted the goulash to be moist. The recipe says it will serve 4, but I could serve 4 and have leftovers from it. Enjoy!
Thanks so much!! I’m always on the lookout for new recipes to use up my same ol’ ingredients, and this totally fits. 😊
littlemiss63

Re: Goulash for Gayle

Post by littlemiss63 »

Gayle, I hope your family likes it and it's a very economical dish to make as well. It is good with cheese sprinkle on the top with bread crumbs, but I can't eat cheese anymore. I have put Progresso Garlic Bread Crumbs in the hamburger to stretch it a little further, about 1/2 cup. Just play with it, my kids use to like it with little green peas added, a good one meal dish.