VERY Easy Carrot Soup

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Prairie Waif2

VERY Easy Carrot Soup

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

This recipe calls for an immersion blender. I just used my normal food processor on pulse until the soup was smooth. It also calls for vegetable broth. I had chicken broth on hand and used it. Very good!

Easy Carrot Soup Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutesCook time: 30 minutesYield: 4-6 servings
INGREDIENTS
For the soup:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large white onion, chopped
2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
4 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
For garnish:

Paprika
Fresh chives, minced
DAD ADD: Cheesy Toast Dippers

8 slices baguette, sliced 1/2-inch thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
Special equipment:
Immersion blender

METHODSHOW PHOTOS
1 Preheat the oven to 400°F for the Cheesy Toast Toppers.

2 Cook the veggies: In a large pot over medium heat, add butter and onions. Cook until onions turn translucent, 3 to 4 minutes, but don't let them brown at all. Season with a pinch of salt.

Add carrots, garlic, and dried thyme, and stir together. Cook for 30 seconds just until garlic becomes fragrant.

3 Add the stock and simmer: Add stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until carrots are very tender.

4 Meanwhile, make the cheesy toast dippers: Spread your baguette slices out on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil. Then sprinkle generously with finely grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake toasts at 400°F until edges are browned and Parmesan cheese is starting to turn a light tan color around the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove toasts and set aside.

5 Finish the soup: When carrots are tender, use an immersion blender right in the pot to blend soup until smooth.

If you don’t have an immersion blender, remove soup from heat and allow to cool until it isn’t steaming hot. Then you can blend in batches in a standard blender and return it to your pot. Return the blended soup to low heat and season with salt and white pepper (optional).

6 Serve the soup: Ladle the soup into bowls and swirl in about a tablespoon of heavy cream into each bowl. Garnish the soup with a sprinkle of paprika and fresh minced chives. Plus, add a cheesy toast dipper!

Leftover soup keeps well in the fridge for 5 days, or you can transfer it to freezer-safe ziptop plastic bags and freeze it for up to six months. Reheat soup gently over low heat on the stovetop.

Don’t freeze the soup if you’ve added cream to it, because it will most likely separate. In theory, it would taste the same once it is reheated, but I prefer to stir in fresh cream and freeze the soup without the cream in it.
Hope has a good imagination.
Mrscreative

Re: VERY Easy Carrot Soup

Post by Mrscreative »

Yummy- this looks very good! I have all the ingredients on hand except the heavy cream, but could use my plain Greek yogurt. Very inexpensive as well! That’s always a good thing. Might add sautéed shrimp to Dh and DD2’s.
ChristmasTrees

Re: VERY Easy Carrot Soup

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Will make this right after my big food shop!