Red cabbage casserole

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
rinty

Red cabbage casserole

Post by rinty »

For Ellen Marie !

1 head of red cabbage
1 red onion
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
2 apples, peeled and diced

sharp un sweetened apple juice OR red wine vinegar

Slice the red cabbage thinly but still in long strips, peel and dice two apples , slice the red onion VERY finely. In a crockpot or casserole if you are cooking it in the oven , layer cabbage , onion and apple with the butter and brown sugar, just one layer is fine.

Now this is a recipe I do by eye, so I am saying to you to add a cup of liquid and put the casserole on LOW for several hours. Take a look after an hour, the butter will have melted and it should be cooking down nicely. IF you think you need to add more liquid , do it now.

Your finished cassrrole should be very rich and thick, you don't want too much liquid as it will be watery. This benfits from reheating, it becomes thicker and richer . Very yummy x
GMPG54

Re: Red cabbage casserole

Post by GMPG54 »

Oh, my word... this sounds amazing!!!!
And a crockpot recipe to boot, I may have died and gone to heaven!!!! Thankyou
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Sounds wonderful.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

GMPG54 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:39 pm Oh, my word... this sounds amazing!!!!
And a crockpot recipe to boot, I may have died and gone to heaven!!!! Thankyou
It is good and it smells wonderful while its cooking ! I like to serve it with pie ............obviously turkey pie with Christmas leftovers but its perfectly nice with just chicken and veg pie. DH likes it with pork chops or pork belly slices ( cos hes a MAN) but its a lovely recipe to come home to.

Nice to " see " you , hope you had a good Christmas x
rinty

Post by rinty »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:54 pm Sounds wonderful.
I think it would fit in with your type of cooking Jackie, I often look at your menu plan on your blog x Bet H would like it, its very " hearty " x
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Rinty do you find a tart apple works best? Maybe Granny Smith? I will definitely be trying this. Wish I had this recipe when I got my massive red cabbage in my pickup order.