Wicked Good Mac & Cheese

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
HappyDaze

Wicked Good Mac & Cheese

Post by HappyDaze »

1 lb. small shell pasta
12 oz. white Wicked sharp cheddar cheese (or any kind of extra sharp)
6 oz. smoked provolone cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
4 oz. (1/2 of an 8 oz. block) cream cheese
4 oz. processed cheese (live Velveeta)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter plus more for topping
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon each salt and onion powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
crushed potato chips

Cook pasta for 5 minutes in boiling salted water, drain. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes over low heat. Slowly stir in milk, cream, broth - a little bit at a time, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook and stir for a few minutes until the sauce thickens a little bit.

Turn off heat and stir in all cheeses (the cheese won't completely melt at this point - that's what you want). Combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce in a large casserole dish - stir well. Stir in sour cream, salt, pepper, onion powder.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and stir well. Put back in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and topping (crushed potato chips combined with melted butter - amounts are to your liking). Bake and additional 10 minutes or so - watch that the chips don't burn.

You may want to use more milk/liquid than I do - I like my mac & cheese on the dry side. You can also cut back on the amount of cheese - I know these amounts are excessive - but I only make this a couple times a year - and it's a splurge.

** This is my own original recipe and any similarities to an existing recipe in any cookbook or on any website is purely coincidental. **
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
frugalmom

Re: Wicked Good Mac & Cheese

Post by frugalmom »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:26 pm 1 lb. small shell pasta
12 oz. white Wicked sharp cheddar cheese (or any kind of extra sharp)
6 oz. smoked provolone cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
4 oz. (1/2 of an 8 oz. block) cream cheese
4 oz. processed cheese (live Velveeta)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter plus more for topping
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon each salt and onion powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
crushed potato chips

Cook pasta for 5 minutes in boiling salted water, drain. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes over low heat. Slowly stir in milk, cream, broth - a little bit at a time, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook and stir for a few minutes until the sauce thickens a little bit.

Turn off heat and stir in all cheeses (the cheese won't completely melt at this point - that's what you want). Combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce in a large casserole dish - stir well. Stir in sour cream, salt, pepper, onion powder.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and stir well. Put back in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and topping (crushed potato chips combined with melted butter - amounts are to your liking). Bake and additional 10 minutes or so - watch that the chips don't burn.

You may want to use more milk/liquid than I do - I like my mac & cheese on the dry side. You can also cut back on the amount of cheese - I know these amounts are excessive - but I only make this a couple times a year - and it's a splurge.

** This is my own original recipe and any similarities to an existing recipe in any cookbook or on any website is purely coincidental. **
YUM! THANK YOU for taking the time to type that out for us! I am definitely going to make that!