Quick & Easy Rhubarb (fruit) Crisp

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Prairie Waif2

Quick & Easy Rhubarb (fruit) Crisp

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

I made this and it took almost less than 10 minutes from start to oven! I like that! Also, it is so good, although it is labelled "Rhubarb Crisp" I think it would work for any fruit with the exception of bananas! :P

EDIT July 14, 2021. I made this crisp last night with mixed fruit (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries). If I were to make it again, I would definitely cut the sugar in in the syrup mix to half a cup. It is way too sweet otherwise. You can always add more later.

Quick & Easy Rhubarb Crisp

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE CRISP:
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup oatmeal
1-1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

SUGAR SAUCE:
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup of cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray or butter a 7-in. x 11-in. or 8.5-in. x 11-in baking dish and set aside.
2. Mix together the flour, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, and melted butter.
3. Press one-half of crumb mixture into the prepared baking dish.
4. Add chopped rhubarb atop pressed-in crumb mixture in the baking dish.
5. Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and water together in a glass bowl. Microwave until thick, clear, and bubbly - approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from the microwave and whisk in the vanilla. Pour the sugar sauce evenly over rhubarb.
6. Top with evenly with the remaining crumb mixture.
7. Bake until edges are bubbling and the crumb topping is browned, about 30-40 minutes.

copied from https://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/rhubarb-crisp/
Last edited by Prairie Waif2 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope has a good imagination.
chocolite

Re: Quick & Easy Rhubarb (fruit) Crisp

Post by chocolite »

This sounds good, MJ. We don't eat rhubarb, but I may try this with apples. Thanks for posting!
Patty
Jackielou

Re: Quick & Easy Rhubarb (fruit) Crisp

Post by Jackielou »

I have made this crisp recipe for years. Mine is from the community cookbook where Hubby grew up.

Quite often I don't melt the butter I just mix it in the dry ingredients until crumbs form.

I also use this recipe to make apple crisp, just adding a bit more cinnamon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/