YOUR FAVORITE COLD DRINKS

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
frugalmom

YOUR FAVORITE COLD DRINKS

Post by frugalmom »

It is getting hot out here already. We didn't have any rain, so I think it is going to be a HOT summer this year! I thought it said Grand Solar Minimum which we just started we are supposed to be colder weather-go figure!

So to get ready, what are your favorite ice COLD beverages and how do you make them differently if you do? Any special touches?

I LOVE lemonade from my lemon tree and I use monkfruit or truvia,splenda or stevia(I forget which it is but whatever i have at the time). MY Arnold Palmer (half lemonade and half iced tea never turns out like the ones I buy at the store in bottles) so I don't know what I am doing wrong there.

I got this from Prepper Princess buy the Davita mocha latte coffee mix from Costco (around 10-11.). Note don't buy from Amazon bc I remember it was like a crazy price I thought it was like 40.00 somewhere but now I see it like around 18.00 and WM has it even more expensive. BUT as I look NOW I see sugar free ones AND an Irish Cream one so I am going to have to go back and look at those! So anyway, if you go to Costco that is the best buy. I only use a few spoons like 2-3 and mix it with water(I use milk for the kids) and splash of half and half for me and blend with the small ice but lots. It comes out like a frappucino-well close to it with the ice crystals and you can add whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate or caramel-whatever you like. For me, I like it bc it is refreshing on a hot day and I control the sugar on it bc I don't like too sweet stuff. Enjoy!

I also like orange julius I used to make for the kids but haven't made this for a long time. Think it was orange juice or frozen orange juice concentrate and vanilla ice cream or maybe it was frozen whipped cream? If anyone has that recipe let us know!

BTW, those packet mixes that is like little packs of soda type drinks which has no carbonation does NOT taste like the soda it says-it is to me gross! So saving you money there (wasted my own money!)! So I got the bright idea of putting it into carbonated water and it exploded everywhere coming up and over the cup-Idk why that happened lol!? They have Crush orange, Hawaiian Punch and HI-C (these are ok but too sweet as well even though sugar free, but you can just put a little to flavor your water instead-I wouldn't waste my money on that a second time, I am just trying to finish the first pack!) and root beer is plain nasty. So get the real stuff-I was just trying for the emergency pantry to see how it tastes.
HappyDaze

Re: YOUR FAVORITE COLD DRINKS

Post by HappyDaze »

I mostly only drink water and I detest all forms of soda pop for the most part. HOWEVER, once a year in summer, I will get a bottle of diet cream soda. I put cubes of frozen black coffee into a tall glass and add some of the soda. It tastes like I paid 5 bucks for it!

Also, any time I buy orange juice (it has to be a really sweet deal, otherwise I don't), I freeze it in cubes instead of drinking it. I like to toss a few of those in the blender with a banana and a little almond milk - it's delicious.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I used to love lemonade, but the heartburn it gives me now is fierce. My summertime drinks of choice are ginger ale and decaff iced tea, along with lots of ice water. I like a nice glass of sangria too, and in the summer make my own bubbly wine coolers by adding a splash of black cherry seltzer to the wine.

Flavored seltzers are all the rage, but I can't drink them straight: it makes the corners of my mouth crack open after just a glass or two in a row. Doesn't bother me mixed with the wine, though.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Now Mackie, the seltzer/wine combo sounds really good!

I'm an iced tea fan ... keep a pitcher in the fridge year-round. In the summer I make a pitcher of lemon tea (usually Bigelow's), but put some fresh mint in to steep along with the tea. Makes a light, refreshing drink.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:21 am I mostly only drink water and I detest all forms of soda pop for the most part. HOWEVER, once a year in summer, I will get a bottle of diet cream soda. I put cubes of frozen black coffee into a tall glass and add some of the soda. It tastes like I paid 5 bucks for it!

Also, any time I buy orange juice (it has to be a really sweet deal, otherwise I don't), I freeze it in cubes instead of drinking it. I like to toss a few of those in the blender with a banana and a little almond milk - it's delicious.
OOOOHHH that sounds good-I will have to try both of those drinks!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 am I used to love lemonade, but the heartburn it gives me now is fierce. My summertime drinks of choice are ginger ale and decaff iced tea, along with lots of ice water. I like a nice glass of sangria too, and in the summer make my own bubbly wine coolers by adding a splash of black cherry seltzer to the wine.

Flavored seltzers are all the rage, but I can't drink them straight: it makes the corners of my mouth crack open after just a glass or two in a row. Doesn't bother me mixed with the wine, though.
Are flavored Seltzers the same as sparkling water? If not, do they taste the same?