Saving Seeds From Grocery Store Produce

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
HappyDaze

Saving Seeds From Grocery Store Produce

Post by HappyDaze »

Has anyone ever regrown produce from seeds you saved from produce you bought? Like sweet pepper? Or anything else?

I might give it a try. I just want to see what I can regrow from stuff I will buy anyway - not spend money on gardening seeds and supplies. If it works, it works, if it doesn't that's okay...I don't have to grow a garden - yet, lol.

Any experience with things like regrowing green onions in a glass of water, etc.? I'd love to hear what people have tried, what has worked and what hasn't worked.

Edited to add: Jackie, if this belongs in the gardening folder, by all means please move it - I wasn't sure - since I am not really starting a garden. I have dirt, I have seeds - just want to see what may happen - or may not happen.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Re: Saving Seeds From Grocery Store Produce

Post by clemencia2us »

I used to buy butter lettuce that came all intact - roots and all

So I did regrow it a couple of times.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I see on the Reddit Frugal subreddit that green onions are super easy to regrow.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I grew my lemon trees from seeds I found in a couple of lemons. I may try to grow some small apple trees with seeds from apples this year. I am still looking for oranges with seeds to give that a try.

As far as veggies from seed I have saved we did that with some sugar pie pumpkins last year and while they grew, they got a bit larger than the pumpkin I took them from.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:28 am I grew my lemon trees from seeds I found in a couple of lemons. I may try to grow some small apple trees with seeds from apples this year. I am still looking for oranges with seeds to give that a try.

As far as veggies from seed I have saved we did that with some sugar pie pumpkins last year and while they grew, they got a bit larger than the pumpkin I took them from.
Interesting, Jackie, thanks! I'm going to try a few things - can't hurt.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz