Garden update 2016

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
Jens_Cats

Re: Garden update 2016

Post by Jens_Cats »

Our greens, jalepenos, and tomatoes are coming up, despite the cool temps. The rain is probably helping a lot.

We've picked up more seeds, including heirloom corn, but we have not been able to continue with the tilling, due to the rain and each of our health issues.

Up around the house, I'm trying to get the beds weeded, and it looks like we're losing or have lost some bushes. D wants to remove those, anyway, and make these beds a massive herb garden, to which I have no objection at all. I have told him I want to keep the azaleas, if we haven't lost them. I love my azaleas!

Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I planted 2 more tomatoes on Sunday because they were so tall & "leggy" in their pots. Today I stopped and those tomatoes look very sad & sunburned. That's what happens when it rains for something like 15 days in a row then suddenly sun. Anyway they were "extras" so I won't be upset if they don't recover. The original 5 planted weeks ago look OK. I discovered some beetles eating the asian greens (they have been looking quite chewed up and "holey". I think they are Harlequin beetles. I now plan to just pull these all up and dispose of them (hopefully including the beetles.) I have eaten several salads with garden lettuce. Need to plant some more seeds.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I worked at the garden on Thursday, pulled up the greens that looked too holey to use. I don't like arugula, so won't plant that again. I planted basil seeds in their place. I see a tiny bit of parsley sprouting that I planted weeks ago. I cut chard and spinach (already trying to flower and go to seed) and cooked it to use like spinach. Need to figure out what to plant in place of the spinach and radishes. Green onions are coming along and need to be undisturbed. Carrots have green tops but I don't know if the roots are forming. No sign of the potatoes sending up sprouts. The "tomato-potato" is still indoors and trying to survive, growing new leaves down the stem.

I have realized I need to focus more on what is ready to be harvested and used. Usually I mostly pay attention to weeding and planting. So today I cut chives, leaf celery, dill and mint in addition to the lettuce I went to pick. I put chives and dill in pasta salad. Lettuce and celery I will have in salad (maybe tuna salad for lunch) and the mint I will figure out something to do with.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

We are having a few problems this year.

A row of peas and a row of beans had to be replanted due to no showing of growth.

The carrots do not seem to be coming up either. We will give them a bit more time and then replant.

Otherwise things seem to be growing okay. Not fantastic but okay.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks to the cool Florida nights, peppers and tomato are still setting fruit. The Swiss chard is doing pretty well, but I sense that the sun is a bit hot for it. I moved the tub into more shade. The older peppers are showing sun stress and need to be moved into more shade. They only get a couple of hours of direct sun, but it is afternoon sun and hot. The penta wants more sun and the begonias seem to want more too. So pot moving day I guess. Making more temporary pots out of juice cartons and coffee containers. Only brought so many with me from Texas. Fighting the scale that attacked my old, small orange tree. If I don't win, it will die, so fight on.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Wow, the hot weather this week made the vegetables take off. String beans are flowering, I got a small handful of sugar snap peas. I cut a lot of lettuce and chard, some leaf celery. 1 old potato I buried is sending up shoots. I planted more seeds today. Hoping for rain over the weekend.