Anyone Started Their 2017 Garden Plans

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
Jackielou

Anyone Started Their 2017 Garden Plans

Post by Jackielou »

Just wondering if anyone has started planning their veggie gardens for this year? I need some new ideas on vegetable planting since a great deal of my veggie garden will be under garage construction this year.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
gaylejackson2

Re: Anyone Started Their 2017 Garden Plans

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I've thought about it a little.

New locations for my bean fences; using fencing for vining plants (cucumbers, squash, etc), where or not to plant potatoes (they don't grow good for me), using "other" garden to plant root vegs in -- and persuading parsnips to grow this year, finding directions to make my own seed tape.

I should split my rhubarb plant, as well as dividing my chives.

I may plant alternating rows of onions with tomatoes & peppers, then carrots & parsnips. I have found that green beans do good planted near corn, and that my corn needs to be at one end of the garden so it doesn't shade other plants too much.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I had a happy accident last year planting cucumber near okra. The cucumber vines were quite happy to climb around among the okra stalks.

I tried a pallet stood vertically with landscape fabric "bags" filled with dirt. It didn't work well and shaded other things. So I expect to take that down.

I am wondering about using my "free" compost bin to try and grow potatoes in....
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

I've tinkered a bit with ideas, but nothing concrete yet.

I am planning on putting in some perennials and getting a few fruit trees. I will grow the trees in pots so they can come with me when I move. I will, however, put a couple dwarf cherries in the front garden as I'm taking out three other trees. I want to get a lemon tree inside. I've heard they smell amazing, so that would be worthwhile, even if it doesn't produce well. I am also considering turning this barren spot of the garden into a sun-choke monstrosity. I know they take over everything, but they are pretty, and it would be easy to get food from it.

Otherwise, I'm thinking this year will mainly be tomatoes, peppers, beans and perhaps some root crops.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I like sun chokes. Thanks for the reminder.

My garden is in process. Recovering this barren sand from years of mistreatment has been challenging. I have flowers and herbs growing and some sad green peppers. Lots of bugs and diseases which I will not treat with "cides". Improving the soil making the plants stronger.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

We're still under 3-4 feet of snow, so no plans as of yet, but we have had some really nice sunshiny days since the last paralyzing snowfall we suffered last week, and I have hope that spring is on it's way.