Are you growing a garden?

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
frugalmom

Re: Are you growing a garden?

Post by frugalmom »

rinty wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:53 am Lots of lovely posts, Ellen marie !

yes, we garden. we have a greenhouse which we use to sow seeds and grow things on, and ( English weather being what it is ) we use it through the summer for tomatoes , peppers, cucumbers and aubergines ( aubergines always fail, I personally would give up that battle this year )

WE grow, potatoes ( 2 types ) onions ( white, yellow and red ) also salad onions, garlic, shallots, tomatoes, courgettes, savoy cabbage and sweetheart cabbage ( cauliflower ( always fails !) beetroot, sweetcorn, parsnips, peas, , French and runner beans, broad beans and leeks. Fruit, strawberries, raspberries, red currant and gooseberries.

And rhubarb , whch is the only thing ready to eat from the groud right now. We have radishes, lettuce and spring onion seed sown in the greenhouse. They will be grown in little 2 foot planters on benches ( out of reach of bloody snails and slugs, and I like to grow them that way as its easier. I do hanging baskets of mixed herbs and tumbler cherry tomatoes.

I have a herb planter that is a large trough , about 6ft by 2ft and that has rosemary, sage, oregano, dill and thyme ( we have mint in post as it takes over ) we don't like coriander .....you call it cilantro, but we do grow it cos its pretty to look at.

WE have two veg patches here in the garden with the greenhouse but we also have an allotment plot a few miles away. it is a Britsh thing I think, maybe you have something similar in the US. It cost us £22 a YEAR to rent. It has water there but you can't use hoses, you have to fill your watering cans and walk it to your plot. The allotment means we can grow what we do.

My DSF has always grow a big garden and his advice has been wonderful throughout my life. My DH turns his hadn to anything and is one of lifes workers so he goes at it like its his career ( he is over 70 and retired )

THANK YOU! Forgot I had this post-i had it in chat room so didn't notice it was moved elsewhere! YOu sound like you have a wonderful garden-wow! I am going to try eggplants too-hope it grows. There were not many seeds left-but I got a few. I ordered a survival one too-so DH doesn't want to grow anything and our yard is full of weeds right now that he wants to pick out by hand which is a lot and given my bad back and his bad everything lately,not going to happen this year. BUT I saved it for emergencies if there is a food shortage or something-think it said it lasts for 10 years or was it 25 years(that may be food kit). Anyways, got it just in case! BTW what does rhubarb taste like-celery?
Last edited by frugalmom on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:01 pm Yes. DH is the grandson of a farmer and is 2nd happiest (1st is at Lowe's) when he's in the garden messing with his plants.

What are you growing? Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, potatoes, beets, herbs, butternut squash. And a bunch of flowers; some stuff in the ground, some in pots.

Do you put ground coffee in the soil? Not directly...

Do you compost? Yes, including the coffee grounds.

Anyone getting chickens? Or other animals and have a small yard? No. Not only would it really freak out the dog (beast is not a "farm dog" by any stretch) but it's illegal to have chickens or livestock here.

We lucked out into a fairly large (for suburban Oklahoma) yard in a reasonably nice area. No McMansions or gated entries, but no one parks their cars in their yards and blares loud music all day long, either. We've lived on both ends of that spectrum and neither was much fun. I wish we'd never had to leave the house we were in 2 houses ago, but 90 miles round-trip to work every day for DH wasn't tenable so, here we are.
Oh lucky you got a farm boy!? Love farm boys and cowboys! I married far from it-although he picked the vegetables and fruits long ago! Heard coffee grounds were good for hydrangeas and makes it blue color which I love!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:45 am Yes, I have a small garden. I garden without poisons and it is doing ok. I have tomatoes to share with my neighbors and cherries on my food fence for anyone to pick and enjoy. I follow organic principles. The county does not allow chickens or other small animals. Many HOA's here do not allow any fruits or vegetables to be grown in the front yards(some do not even allow the back yards). This may change after this crisis.
Good, I will know who to go to for organic pesticide questions! I just mixed one with vinegar and dawn and I think baking soda(already forgot-and it was only a few days ago! Sheesh!) for the roses (fungi and aphids I think). BUT Then he bought actual pesticide too for the leaves bc the organic one only helps to prevent and can treat but once it has it not as effective. So I worry those pesticides and spider sprays he uses on the perimeter of the house will somehow get into the planting areas? I won't let hin touch the growing vegetables area.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

LogicsHere wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:13 am No garden here, apartment living doesn't allow for it.
You cannot have a little pot outside on a balcony? Oh, I just heard you can grow in a fish tank like a greenhouse!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

nbeaver wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:21 pm We always grow a garden. I have potatoes, broccoli, onions, lettuce, and radishes growing and just planted the first planting of corn seeds, but they are not up yet, which is a good thing as there is a freeze warning tonight, and I'm going to cover even my cold-hardy things with a tarp. I have tomato and pepper plants as well as some flowers on the back porch ready to plant when the weather is warmer and also have more seeds waiting for warmer weather: beans, limas, squash, cucumbers, etc.
Oh, lima beans and beans-I want to grow those too but didn't see any. The Home Depot was pretty much out-mostly flowers. And online many are closed or out of stock-wow-surprised! Tells you something! When you grow beans and harvest it fresh, it is quicker to cook right!? And no soaking necessary?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

frugalmom wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 am THANK YOU! Forgot I had this post-i had it in chat room so didn't notice it was moved elsewhere! YOu sound like you have a wonderful garden-wow! I am going to try eggplants too-hope it grows. There were not many seeds left-but I got a few. I ordered a survival one too-so DH doesn't want to grow anything and our yard is full of weeds right now that he wants to pick out by hand which is a lot and given my bad back and his bad everything lately,not going to happen this year. BUT I saved it for emergencies if there is a food shortage or something-think it said it lasts for 10 years or was it 25 years(that may be food kit). Anyways, got it just in case! BTW what does rhubarb taste like-celery?
Moved it to gardening as the title had garden in it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/