Are you growing a garden?

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
Jackielou

Re: Are you growing a garden?

Post by Jackielou »

We have always grown a garden of some sort.

Mostly for the potatoes and onions, but we do grow tomatoes, eggplant, beans, peppers, squash (this year butternut), herbs, and cucumbers.

We have fruit trees of which the pear is not doing very well at all.

Of course we have the usual prairie favourite rhubarb.

EM, rhubarb is a fruit and is used mostly in baking. I used to eat it raw with a small bowl of sugar to dip the stalks in as it is a sour fruit.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:39 am Moved it to gardening as the title had garden in it.
Lol-no problem! When I get on those rolls, I don't think or keep track and you know how forgetful I get, so it was my fault! Sorry, for making you do extra work and I will try to pay more attention! Thank you for being on top of things! Stay safe and healthy!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:42 am We have always grown a garden of some sort.

Mostly for the potatoes and onions, but we do grow tomatoes, eggplant, beans, peppers, squash (this year butternut), herbs, and cucumbers.

We have fruit trees of which the pear is not doing very well at all.

Of course we have the usual prairie favourite rhubarb.

EM, rhubarb is a fruit and is used mostly in baking. I used to eat it raw with a small bowl of sugar to dip the stalks in as it is a sour fruit.
Oh, sour fruit! Good thing you told me that! Why is it a favorite then? Why do you grow one type of squash each year? Like can you not grow more than one squash in the same area? Maybe that is why my zucchini (which is hard to mess up I know and we had ones the size of my finger!) did not grow that year I grew them. Something went wrong there. Do you feed them plant food? I don't-is that ok?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

frugalmom wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:34 pm Oh, sour fruit! Good thing you told me that! Why is it a favorite then? Why do you grow one type of squash each year? Like can you not grow more than one squash in the same area? Maybe that is why my zucchini (which is hard to mess up I know and we had ones the size of my finger!) did not grow that year I grew them. Something went wrong there. Do you feed them plant food? I don't-is that ok?
We usually only plant one or two zucchini plants a year. I get enough grated zucchini to make me happy (I only use it in cakes, loaves and muffins). This year I am trying butternut squash. I made soup with one I had bought and we both loved it. Supposedly this keeps better than zucchini as well. We shall see.

We only grow one type of squash because they spread so much and our garden is shrinking in size (though I tell Hubby it should be growing right now).

Rhubarb is actually a favourite of many because it is the first fruit of spring in Northern climates. It is used to make pies, crumbles, cakes, muffins, loaves. It is mixed with strawberries to make a sweeter fruit compote, or as a topping for ice cream.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

frugalmom wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 am THANK YOU! Forgot I had this post-i had it in chat room so didn't notice it was moved elsewhere! YOu sound like you have a wonderful garden-wow! I am going to try eggplants too-hope it grows. There were not many seeds left-but I got a few. I ordered a survival one too-so DH doesn't want to grow anything and our yard is full of weeds right now that he wants to pick out by hand which is a lot and given my bad back and his bad everything lately,not going to happen this year. BUT I saved it for emergencies if there is a food shortage or something-think it said it lasts for 10 years or was it 25 years(that may be food kit). Anyways, got it just in case! BTW what does rhubarb taste like-celery?
Rhubarb is a fruit, it does look like celery I suppose but the flesh is pink. It is served is cakes , pies and " crumbles ". You usually stew the fruit ( it is very sharp and tart , needs sugar !) It is delicious and grows like a weed.

My allotment I my happy place right now . The government allows us to go to allotments and garden, we are only allowed out for 1 hour exercise a day and to go out and get food but we aren't supposed to travel far, yo go to nearby shops. So my extra time in the fresh air at the allotment is a wonderful thing. Everything is going well there and we hope for a good harvest this year which will b essential we think ! Today I prepared all the empty beds ready to plant out all the plants we have hardening off outside our greeenhosue at home.

Gardens are great.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Finally got some plants. I grew different varieties of tomatoes, cucumbers and watermelon. I kept all the seeds otherwise just in case-got a lot for maybe two to three growing seasons(?). I just planted a basic simple one for now and my back locked up-so I don't want to push it. Since it was hot,we got up at 5:30 am. I got my teenager son even to garden that early before it got hot. I used an old kiddie pool to grow the vegetables instead of the ground so easier for me to deal with the weeds. I deweeded (is that a word even?)-took out the weeds in the garden plot to clean it up anyway and put the pool over it. I was excited to see three cherries (those yellow golden kinds-forgot what they called it right now) on my cherry tree that I thought had died! LOts of tangerines,but my apricots the squirrels keep getting them!