Dandeloins are here!

Free food rocks! Come share your latest foraging find, or come to learn. Both newbies and seasoned vets are welcome.
blondeinbuffalo

Dandeloins are here!

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

anyone use all the nice dandeloin greens we can forage?! any recipes? cj
dlrcpa

Re: Dandeloins are here!

Post by dlrcpa »

I tried a few when out walking the dog. They are bitter. Use the youngest ones.
I just read that wild violet leaves (and flowers) are edible. I have a lot of those in the yard. Need to see how they taste.
blondeinbuffalo

I am going to saute some over the weekend and make a dandelion and steak sandwhich. I will let you know how it goes! cj
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

I adore dandelion greens. The best way to use them IMO is to saute them in a tasty fat (I use bacon fat, just a little) with some onions and garlic. Then add salt and pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

You can also steam them, then add to whatever you'd add steamed spinach to. Omelets, quiche, casseroles, Colcannon. Young tender leaves can be added to raw salads if you like bitter greens (which I do).

Also, the roots and flowers are edible too. Make the roots into a mock coffee or roast them with other root vegetables. The flowers can be made into jelly, syrup (kind of a mock honey), fritters, wine or cookies.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
blondeinbuffalo

I am going to try sauteeing them with bacon grease. that sounds really good. I will make them with some kind of beef dish,

my mother used to make dandelion wine, imo it was so strong it tasted like whiskey! did not need much to feel really relaxed. cj