Free Fruit?!

Free food rocks! Come share your latest foraging find, or come to learn. Both newbies and seasoned vets are welcome.
Shelsmiles

Re: Free Fruit?!

Post by Shelsmiles »

I miss crabapple and chokecherry jellies and syrups. In fact, I bought some chokecherry jelly while I was in Wyoming to bring home. There aren't choke cherries and crabapples around here. Hopefully I can time my nex visit to Wyo to coincide with picking some crabapples.

This year we did well with mushrooms and blackberries. Pears and plums didn't do really well but apples will be ready soon. I also got some wild asparagus this spring which was nice.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

On Wednesday I picked a lot of pears and greengage plums, for FREE!! I'd mail you some if I could, Shel. ;) I'm currently making pear-plum-peach (peaches given me by my friend who took me to pick pears) jam, then I'll make pear-plum jam, and later I want to try making plain pear jam... lol, probably some plain plum jam too, but that's easy to me and not a new thing. I also have more offers of free apples than I have time to cook up.

Yesterday I also received free zucchini, yellow summer squash, tomatoes, jalapenos, and a free watermelon. :) Yay me!

Gayle
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Sounds great Gayle. I am going back to the park this weekend to see if I can find that apple tree again. i love applesauce and so does dh. I have not done anything with my crabapple and it seems like the birds are not interested either. next year I am hoping to get some pears on our surviving pear tree. that will be the third year in the ground so I am really hoping to see something! cj
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

Wahoo! I Found CRABAPPLES! I am so excited. The man with the tree is thrilled that I will pick them and keep them off the lawn for him. Planning to do that tomorrow. Yay me!
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I got some free pumpkins and am hoping to get more so that I can use them later to feed the deer. they eat everything but the stem! I split them in half and they clean up the rest. I will be going curbside if necessary as lots of folks just put them on the curb after October 31st. cj
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

There are persimmon trees that grow wild around here and I know of several but the fruit is so small and has so much tannin. Is it really worth while trying to collect enough to cook? (Naturally the trees are spread out in different places, do not conveniently grow next to each other.)