Uses for or Crafts from Canning Jar Lids

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
2dogs+someCats

Uses for or Crafts from Canning Jar Lids

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Since S.O. discovered canning a couple of years ago and the jar lids can't safely be reused for their original purpose, I have a whole big shoe box full of them. Besides recycling them via the curbside, does anyone have any good ideas for "upcycling" them into useful household items, seasonal decorations, etc.?

I was going to make some into gift tags for Christmas but I didn't get to that. Thanks!
Jackielou

Re: Uses for or Crafts from Canning Jar Lids

Post by Jackielou »

I found a couple of sites on line for you to look at.

Here is the first one.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/15-mas ... rafts.html

And here is another that looks pretty good.

http://www.countryliving.com/diy-crafts ... -jar-lids/

Hope those help you out a little bit.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

2dogs+someCats wrote:Since S.O. discovered canning a couple of years ago and the jar lids can't safely be reused for their original purpose, I have a whole big shoe box full of them. Besides recycling them via the curbside, does anyone have any good ideas for "upcycling" them into useful household items, seasonal decorations, etc.?

I was going to make some into gift tags for Christmas but I didn't get to that. Thanks!
I am so happy to know of your interest to utilize the lids outside of their originally intended purpose. Far too often people's answer to this sort of thing is toss, so I'm inspired by this. I've been trying to drum-up a few ideas as to using them, but can't think of anything, however, your Christmas tag idea is totally wow! I really love the idea! Totally unique.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Heloise wrote:
2dogs+someCats wrote:Since S.O. discovered canning a couple of years ago and the jar lids can't safely be reused for their original purpose, I have a whole big shoe box full of them. Besides recycling them via the curbside, does anyone have any good ideas for "upcycling" them into useful household items, seasonal decorations, etc.?

I am so happy to know of your interest to utilize the lids outside of their originally intended purpose. Far too often people's answer to this sort of thing is toss, so I'm inspired by this. I've been trying to drum-up a few ideas as to using them, but can't think of anything, however, your Christmas tag idea is totally wow! I really love the idea! Totally unique.
Gosh, thank you Heloise. I wish I had gotten around to that this year - perhaps next year.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

2dogs+someCats wrote:Gosh, thank you Heloise. I wish I had gotten around to that this year - perhaps next year.
Don't feel bad... the holiday season is always so hectic, it's amazing we manage to accomplish even the bare-bones basics.
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

I am so glad you started this thread...cause it got my creative juices flowing. I can't say I have any ideas other than the ones in the links that Jackie shared, except perhaps making book marks in them....drill a small hole in and put a tassel through it....and then paint the lid. I don't think it would really be any thicker than some of the bookmarkers I have seen in the stores.

I am now thinking I will start saving them as well, and use them to make magnets to use as gifts. I have a magnet on my fridge that shows measurement conversions...and am thinking I could print that info out and glue it to the lid, then seal it and give them as little add in for bridal shower gifts.

I also love the idea of using them to make windchimes. Those would be great for friends that love to can.

And will make some to use as my garden stakes this spring.

And I love your idea of making gift tags with them. Would also be a great way to make personalized Christmas tree ornaments.
Aunt Bridget