Re-Making Old Candles

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
HappyDaze

Re-Making Old Candles

Post by HappyDaze »

Hi Friends,

This is a question, not a how-to. Wondering if anyone has ever used the leftover wax from old candles to make new ones? I light a candle nearly every day and I've been saving the leftover wax in a coffee can in my freezer, as well as cleaning and saving the glass containers.

I looked on Amazon and they sell candle wicks - does anyone know if Dollar Tree or another store has them?

Has anybody here ever done this? Do you have any tips on re-making candles from leftover wax? Any SAFETY tips for melting the wax SAFELY - I'm worried about that!!

Thank you!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Re: Re-Making Old Candles

Post by Jackielou »

Melt your wax in an old can in hot water. It takes a bit longer but is the safest way to go.

I am not sure if Dollar Tree has the wicks and metal clips I do know that when I made these years ago I got mine at Michael's and I believe Walmart used to carry some supplies (not too sure about Walmart now).

I now just grate any old wax to use in my wax melters.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Re: Re-Making Old Candles

Post by HappyDaze »

Thanks Jackie. I wondered because I feel like the wicks they sell on amazon are expensive. Even though I pay for my amazon orders with my mturk surveys, I still don't want to get ripped off and I try to get good deals.

Thanks for the tip about the can - I have a couple nice metal coffee cans.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz