Bottle Calves :)

Big farm or backyard homestead -- if you're interested in homesteading there's a way to make it work. Come explore the possibilities.
Shelsmiles

Bottle Calves :)

Post by Shelsmiles »

We got some bottle calves today!!! I am beyond excited! i have been wanting to raise a few head of cattle for meat and we are finally able to do it. It is a very small start with three calves, but we got a seriously excellent price on very healthy calves. We should be able to raise one to eat and we have the other two already spoken for at whatever fair market price is when they are ready.
tammy65

Re: Bottle Calves :)

Post by tammy65 »

Congrats on the calves!
I was raised on a farm and I got to feed the bottle calves. My younger brother took care of grinding the feed for the milk cows and I got the job that I really loved. We had quite a few calves on bottle most of the time and I loved the job. I still miss it.

My son was fortunate enough to stay with my parents until I got off from work and he also got to feed the bottle calves.

My dad died 19 years ago and the farm was sold soon after. My son was only 6 at the time but we still talk about the baby calves that we fed on bottles..

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

Awww! What a cool memory! Thanks for sharing. I am hoping that even though my kids are quite a bit older, this little farm will hold a lot of fond memories for them when they are older as well. I know it's been great for us in so many ways. There is a lot to be said for taking care of little critters. It's good for a person's soul I think.
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

Shells

Thank you for sharing your stories.....

I think I have said this before.....you are living my dream life.

I am a city girl with a country heart.
Aunt Bridget
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I also grew up on a farm. Bottle-feeding first lambs, then calves was just a normal part of life I thought. Boy how hard those silly things can butt at you when drinking their bottles!!

The newborn calves were definitely cheaper to buy, but around the time I was a senior in high school, Dad started buying calves that could drink out of a bucket so that Mom didn't need to bottle-feed when I was gone.

I haven't thought about those baby calves in years, so a trip down memory lane for me too.

Thanks,
Gayle
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

Ha ha, Gayle! My 15 yo DD was shocked at how hard a 3 day old calf can butt you when trying to get some milk too. Knocked her flat on her buns yesterday. She still thinks they are adorable though. I think she is mostly thankful that her dad and I will be doimg most of the feeding since she and DS are at practice and school this time of year. So it will stay fun for her. When we had bottle baby goats they were her responsibility and lots of work. We should have goats to bottle feed about the time wrestling season is over so she will have plenty of her own to deal with. :)