Preparing for Disasters

Big farm or backyard homestead -- if you're interested in homesteading there's a way to make it work. Come explore the possibilities.
dlrcpa

Re: Preparing for Disasters

Post by dlrcpa »

Ha, was reading about disaster prep on another web site. They included vodka/whiskey as "pain reliever/disinfectant/sleep aid". So be sure to have some one hand. I think we have enough....
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

2 very short power outages this morning, no explanation.
My first aid kit is stocked and organized since that is what I am demonstrating at the dog event Saturday.
I need to get more bottled water.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

The first and hopefully last hurricane is over. It stayed on the east coast, but could have come across the 150-200 miles across to the west side in a day at 10 mph which is a normal forward speed. Preparing for a hurricane when one is approaching is too late. The time to prepare is July. While it technically is in hurricane season, the percent risk is still relatively small. As the summer heats the ocean water, the storms become more frequent and more dangerous. By October, they can be mean.

In Florida, there is nowhere to really bug out to. The state is a narrow stick of land and a cane can cross it in a day. And it can change course and frequently does. The rapid population growth of Florida means that the roads will not be able to handle the traffic. And it is deadly to be caught on the road in a hurricane. In many cases, securing a safe location means preparing your home.