Holiday bargains

Keep the holidays debt-free and sane. Share your tips, and check in with your progress.
dlrcpa

Holiday bargains

Post by dlrcpa »

I am pleased with what I have been able to get for Christmas gifts so far. Bath & Body Works has sent coupons by mail, so far I spent about $11 for 5 items. I "shopped" CVS online and received a free spray cologne that will be a gift also. I made a beaded bracelet & earrings for co-worker. I sewed 2 butcher-type aprons for gifts. I used a $10 Kohl's coupon and got DB a fleece pullover for $2.69 yesterday. 2 fruitcakes already made. So very little out of pocket so far but several gifts taken care of.

Biggest outlay will be for DH, his birthday is in December as well has his Christmas gift. He usually wants a fancy birthday dinner out but his "boss" is hosting a nice restaurant dinner close to his birthday so maybe he will settle for nice birthday dinner at home if I invite his sis and BIL.

I will do more baking in a few weeks. I need to buy "supplies" such as disposable plates and cups. Figuring out the best strategy for getting those cheaply. I'm hosting the dog club's holiday party but the club will give me a generous $$$ amount to cover a spiral ham, "beverages" and the paper goods.

Any more good hints or ideas?
blondeinbuffalo

Re: Holiday bargains

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

This is the time of year I cash in my points on my credit cards. sit down, I have 12 of them. so I give gift cards and can usually get some nice ones. I charge everything! dh does much the same but he uses his for airline points which I personally think he gets a bad deal, too many restrictions!

I need some ideas for my clients, I have 20 and I like to give token gifts. I may just go to the dollar stores for some ideas as the budget per is $3. If any of you have an idea or two for this please let me know. cj
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I recall you did very well at CVS last year:
- tin of butter cookies
- calendar or pocket calendar
- inexpensive knit gloves - JoAnn has them for around $1.
- ice scraper
- mini flashlights (we have gobs of those around the house)
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Stuff I ordered on Thursday has started to arrive. Happy so far. New dish drain board looks so much better than the old one that I could not get to look clean. CVS order (cosmetics) came and they threw in a "samples" packet related to make-up. Would not have gotten anything like that in the store. ;) Other stuff is gifts for DH so we will have to wait and see how he likes them. Mom mentioned a gift for DH, I think I will let her pay for his ice cream cake.
rinty

Post by rinty »

blondeinbuffalo wrote:This is the time of year I cash in my points on my credit cards. sit down, I have 12 of them. so I give gift cards and can usually get some nice ones. I charge everything! dh does much the same but he uses his for airline points which I personally think he gets a bad deal, too many restrictions!

I need some ideas for my clients, I have 20 and I like to give token gifts. I may just go to the dollar stores for some ideas as the budget per is $3. If any of you have an idea or two for this please let me know. cj

Obviously I am posting from England so this may be a useless suggestion..........in ASDA/Walmart here they have VERY CUTE handwarmers that have a cover on them like a mini Christmas jumper. Very , very cute, nice designs too, a scandi knit in red and white, the ones I got were pink and blue sort of a fair isle. pattern.

By Christmas jumper I mean Christmas sweater, yes ?

Anyway these were £2 so I picked up a couple for the staff on the playground at school, but these with a sachet of hot chocolate and a label saying " Winter Warmer!!!" would be nice. Maybe Walmart have them in the US too ????

Have you looked at the site www.organizedchristmas.com ? It has ideas for small gifts and downloadable labels and tags which are themed and quite clever. They do one for Snowman Soup which has a little rhyme on it.........Snowman soup is hot choc, marshamllows and a candy cane.A laminated tag brings it UP to Gift Status.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Rinty,

What kind of work are you doing at the school? I do yard duty and para educator. I enjoy doing both but may have to give up the para gigs if they are the source of my bugs. I am outside most of the time for yard duty and I need the exercise it provides so I feel comfortable staying with that. I do that 3 times a week and when I do I get the recommended amount of walking time per week that the AMA recommends.
Bev