Thanksgiving Plans Anyone

Keep the holidays debt-free and sane. Share your tips, and check in with your progress.
Jackielou

Re: Thanksgiving Plans Anyone

Post by Jackielou »

LWolfT wrote:Might be the difference in harvest times ... the particular date has bounced around a bit, though.
The U.S. didn't have a national Thanksgiving Day until 1863 -- President Lincoln designated the last Thursday in November as the holiday.
But in 1939, Franklin Roosevelt declared it to be on the fourth Thursday. There were 5 Thursdays in the month that year (which was during the Depression) and he was convinced to do it to lengthen the Christmas shopping season. The fourth Thursday date was set by federal law in 1941.

And I'm sure that's more than you've ever wanted to know about Thanksgiving in the U.S. :D
Very interesting. I did not realize that the date had bounced around. For as long as I remember Canadians have always celebrated the second Monday of October.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Since we both love turkey I think we will celebrate the Canadian holiday as well. usually I have turkey, dressing, cranberries, sweet potatoes, gravy and green beans. dessert is usually either pecan pie or lemon merange (which I buy!). hope you have a great holiday everyone! cj
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Prices always threaten to go up at any food or specialty item themed holiday at least here in the U.S. Most years in Houston, son would get a free turkey coupon. Doesn't help me here. Just Hubs and me this year. Look for a sale as the time draws closer. Something crock pot size.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

We are having company, which I love. My DB and SIL are coming from Florida and my DS from Arkansas. They will stay with us for several days. I have to do the traditional menu, of course, but I may throw in something different for dessert. Soon I need to sit down and plan meals for that whole week.

Patty
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We will be visiting our sister-in-law in Atlanta, so I'll probably be making the usual two or three desserts. Somehow over the years I became the designated cake and pie maker. :)
Mackie
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I think we will be hosting again this year. I think the menu will be the same as last year: turkey, gravy, stuffing, potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie. This year I will use a different recipe for the pumpkin pie if I even make them from scratch at all.