Labor Day Plans

Keep the holidays debt-free and sane. Share your tips, and check in with your progress.
blondeinbuffalo

Re: Labor Day Plans

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I use my cooler a lot when we do trips. I like to pack healthy snacks, diet sodas and water and I always add in some nice dark chocolate! that is a must. happy birthday! take care, cj
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

RecoveringDreamer wrote:Everyone's plans sound lovely!

It's my birthday weekend, so we're going out of town. I usually work mondays, but we don't have production for the holiday. We are going to go to DH's home city (where we lived when we first got together). We will visit his family the first afternoon (Sunday). His family treats us to dinner when we come out since it's a 700 mile drive. We may go to a play that first night. I am using Goldstar for half off tickets (I love the theatre, and rarely go, so I figure $10 a ticket on my birthday isn't bad). I booked us a decent hotel for $50. This hotel has a free breakfast. I know hotel breakfasts aren't usually grand, but it will do.

I'm going to pack healthy snacks for the road. We used to always bring candy for road trips, but a few trips ago, DH brought baby carrots, celery and cherry tomatoes. We were less cranky later in the day and didn't gain weight like we usually do. I'll do this again this time. I'll also bring a thermos of coffee, bottles of water and iced tea (made from scratch), and protein bars. I'll also pack a cooler; there's a frig in the room, so I can store items in there for meals the second day.

We are going to go picking for the business. Our favorite thrift chain in the city has a half off day on Monday, so that will be our main occupation on my birthday. Sounds weird, but thrifting is one of our favorite things to do together, even if it is our job.

I also signed up for a lot of the birthday programs Erin shared, so we will print those coupons to use during our trip for free coffees, pastries, or BOGO meals.
If you are near a Firehouse subs, they have free subs for your birthday. Unless you are a big eater, one can be shared.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

blondeinbuffalo wrote:Good morning all! What are you plans for Labor Day and what are you going to do to keep it fun and frugal. we are going to have a small bbq. we are supplying the meats and grill and asking everyone else to bring their best picnic dish. I got a really good sale on chicken breasts and this is what dh will be grilling. please share what you all will be doing? cj
We will go to our reunion. Just a few miles. Hate to cook for other people so hope I can find something at the deli to take. Our groceries are open and usually have good food.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

Thanks, ownedbydogs! I'm going to go sign up!
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

We are going tent camping again (just back from a lovely 4-day "mini-cation"). We're going back to the private land of some friends and there will be other folks there. We camp for the "price" of some meat and snacks to share and a dish to pass for the big Labor Day picnic. I will pitch in on clean-up and washing dishes (water heated on grill for that plus outdoor shower!). Love it!

Friends have a swing set and trampoline for the kids, there is hiking in the woods, "washers" game (similar to a cross between horseshoes and ring toss) for adults, plenty of good conversation, camp fire every night.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Thanks everyone for sharing your plans. this will be a great and relaxing weekend for all of us I hope. I really don't like to cook for others either as there are so many specialized diets out there. so this is why we are providing the meats only. we are hoping to get a nice variety of salads. I will also make a large tossed green salad if someone does not feel like eating meat or poultry. rest of the weekend we are relaxing! cj