Washington Post article on coping with food inflation

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Washington Post article on coping with food inflation

Post by MackerelCat »

I suppose this might belong in the Challenges folder, since it's an article about how various people are coping with the increase in the cost of food at the grocery store:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/08/10/food-prices-rising/

The Post says groceries are 12.2 percent higher than last summer, but I swear I think it's more than that depending on where one lives. We're coping by shopping mostly at Aldi, buying only three items we can't get there at Food Lion, and eating very simple meals. DH finally stopped drinking soft drinks and cut way, way back on buying his beloved Irish beer and I have been drinking just homemade coffee and iced tea, along with lots of tap water. We also cut back on meat and lately just stopped buying any cold cuts. (I don't really eat them and DH has lost his taste for them, so that was easy.)
Mackie
Beverley

Re: Washington Post article on coping with food inflation

Post by Beverley »

I think due to my age I find myself eating less so that has been an easy way for me to cope with higher food prices. DS is trying to eat less as well and eat healthier foods. I keep our meals simple since I really do not like to cook.

I have been able to find small cuts of meat marked down at our local grocery store where DS works. This would be too pricey to feed a family but for the two of us it works out well. I am not a big meat eater.

I just hope this inflation stops soon; it is not helping anyone at all.

Bev
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

DH has complained a bit because I've been making so many stews, but the grocery budget is not stretching to buying big cuts of meat. I managed to stock our little chest freezer reasonably well with manager's markdowns from the meat case at Food Lion, but none of it is fancy food: mostly chicken leg quarters and cuts of pork.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I know I will be making more meatless meals over the next while. The challenge will be in getting Hubby to enjoy them. So far he has liked the Moroccan Red Lentil Soup, and the Lentil Curry. I am going to try some chickpea and bean recipes when September rolls around.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Unfortunately, this inflation has come at the same time my desire to cook ahead is decreasing. I think it is the weather and I am going to have to get back into batch cooking when fall officially arrives.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz