My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

I have almost made it through this week with no spending, just a couple more days to go. Hubby has spent, but they are parts for the BBQ which are very necessary and much less expensive than buying a completely new one.

I did not get the pj bottoms made into rags so will do that today (one of the little tasks I am adding to my list). I may cut out another pair to replace these for Hubby as there is a few aged pairs in his drawer. We shall see.

Using up food from fridge, freezer and pantry.

I will be going through fliers today to see what deals I can find and starting my grocery list. I will be shopping on the last day of the sale, so I hope to be able to find things. There will be a few more household items added to the list and I hope to purchase enough of those to last the year, or build up what I already have stocked.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

List made and boy is it a long one. Hopefully all will still be on sale when I go. I went through the cleaning/household supply closet and found that I have enough garbage bags, tinfoil, and Windex to last a year already. I get to cross those off the list of things I need. I also think I have enough of the plastic for my Foodsaver for probably the year as well.

I put aside some old sheets and pillowcases to use in projects. The sheets will make great backing for quilts, and after thinking about it the pillowcases will make great backing for hot pads and perhaps even table runners.

Used up another yarn cake and have added the third to the knitting project. This means three balls of yarn will be used up from my stash and I have a feeling this project will be done in a couple of weeks. Since it is going to get colder over the next week I will be staying home and getting lots done project wise I hope.

Tomorrow for the first time ever I am going to try doing a major cook. I do plan on making ribs for supper so while the oven is on I will be making muffins, cupcakes, and on the stove top I will be doing chicken bone stock, meat sauce for spaghetti, and a chickpea curry for the freezer. I may even make an apple dessert to use up apple pie filling and the phyllo pastry. Going to be a busy day tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Frugal fail for today is since I am doing all that cooking tomorrow, I really don't feel like cooking tonight. I will order a pizza, think I deserve a bit of a break.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So the batch cooking went pretty well.

Pantry use ups were 2 cans of chickpeas, two cans of tomato soup, and a can of coconut milk.

Freezer use ups were two bags of pumpkin puree, 3 jars of homemade tomato sauce, a bag of frozen tomatoes, a bag of diced peppers, 2 lbs of ground meat, and the 2 chicken carcasses. Oh yeah and about 3 lbs of pork ribs.

Fridge use ups were the celery in the crisper, the one cut up onion, and the remains of a bottle of ketchup.

Not too bad a job getting things cleared out. Still more needs doing, especially in the fridge freezer but hopefully I can get more of that cleared out this week.

Even though it was cold, the sun shone for most of the day so I had drapes open to take advantage of the sun's heat and light.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Wow Jackie, you used up a lot of stuff. That is some frugal cooking!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:12 am Wow Jackie, you used up a lot of stuff. That is some frugal cooking!
I ended up with quite a few meals in the freezer. I don't know if I will do that again, but thinking back on the experience it was fun overall.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I did make it through last week with the only spending being the pizza on Friday night (went into the entertainment budget).

Started off this week well with another no spend day, and pretty sure tomorrow will be as well.

Still using things up that need using. Today it was a bag of frozen rhubarb, the remaining phyllo sheets, the 4 softening apples, and all the dried cherries. Tonight I will be using up the remains of the ribs, though I will have to make more rice and I will use up the last half of the cucumber and the broccoli (both raw) as the side veggies along with some dip.

Lights are off in various rooms, drapes are open even though it is really cold still as the sun is shining and I am taking advantage of that for light and heat.

I tried something different with the laundry today. I usually use the water sensing option to save on water, but lately I have found this isn't cleaning as well. I used the deep water option this time and things look much cleaner. I also went to one rinse rather than two.
Jackie