DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:33 am

Friday am

The leaves were picked up early by the trash people and I got over half the cans filled already. Today, I will fill the rest. Then I want to mow the ditches on the south side because the grass is starting to grow in them. Then it is onto working with the mulch. Busy day ahead. Rain is arriving for the weekend, so I need to move the cans without lids under cover. Front yard will be mostly leaf free than. More in the back, but it will have to wait. I need to wash my hair and do the coloring patch test. Color my hair by Sunday. Last ground beef roll is thawing. Also get out a turkey breast to thaw. Cooler weather is coming and it is turkey time. I am now down to the frozen turkey breasts that went on sale last November, 99c/pound. Great deal. I am not a breast fan, but it is good solid meat with little bone.

Projecting out for the month. Ground beef though Monday. Turkey on Monday. Leftovers, Tuesday. Wednesday, start last package of 99c/lb chicken breasts. Good until Friday. See what is left after that. I am hopeful for a sale on cauliflower and a cheese/cauliflower dinner mixed in there. See what is left in the freezer at that time.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am

Saturday am

Yesterday went as planned. However, there are a lot more leaves north of the driveway than I realized. They will go into the garden. I hope I can get it done before the rain hits today. I do not feel it is wise to push it today. I had my breakfast and now I am cooking my second breakfast. I finished coffee and now hydrating with water. Well, rain will either come or miss us and we will have to deal with whatever. I was due to pick up weekend sale steaks that I will cut and prepare for hubs meals while I am gone. He had wanted ground beef for burgers, but I told him there is a lot of grease on burgers and with only one working hand, it will be a challenge to dump the grease. That means grease in the dishwasher. Never a good idea. On a septic tank, a worse idea. So steak instead. Lean meat.

I was pleased that my knee held up so well mowing the ditches. Ditches are rough on knees. I hope the knees continue to stay better. Oh, I know the one is there, but not that painful now.

I have a dentist appointment this coming week. I am going to have them do X-rays as well. I get aches sometimes, but the visual shows nothing.

I studied up on osteopenia and determined that long term use of thyroid medication does indeed promote bone loss. They say the studies do not say that, but I read most of the studies and the studies were only one year long. Any idiot knows bone loss takes more time than that to show up. The longer term studies, deemed "controversial", did show bone loss. I am glad I was in pre-med and not at the mercy of "they said". I sense Big Pharma money at work.

However, the data does suggest that OTC calcium does work provided it is in the presence of food and vitamin C. So a tomato a day keeps the bone pain away.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am
Saturday am

Yesterday went as planned. However, there are a lot more leaves north of the driveway than I realized. They will go into the garden. I hope I can get it done before the rain hits today. I do not feel it is wise to push it today. I had my breakfast and now I am cooking my second breakfast. I finished coffee and now hydrating with water. Well, rain will either come or miss us and we will have to deal with whatever. I was due to pick up weekend sale steaks that I will cut and prepare for hubs meals while I am gone. He had wanted ground beef for burgers, but I told him there is a lot of grease on burgers and with only one working hand, it will be a challenge to dump the grease. That means grease in the dishwasher. Never a good idea. On a septic tank, a worse idea. So steak instead. Lean meat.

I was pleased that my knee held up so well mowing the ditches. Ditches are rough on knees. I hope the knees continue to stay better. Oh, I know the one is there, but not that painful now.

I have a dentist appointment this coming week. I am going to have them do X-rays as well. I get aches sometimes, but the visual shows nothing.

I studied up on osteopenia and determined that long term use of thyroid medication does indeed promote bone loss. They say the studies do not say that, but I read most of the studies and the studies were only one year long. Any idiot knows bone loss takes more time than that to show up. The longer term studies, deemed "controversial", did show bone loss. I am glad I was in pre-med and not at the mercy of "they said". I sense Big Pharma money at work.

However, the data does suggest that OTC calcium does work provided it is in the presence of food and vitamin C. So a tomato a day keeps the bone pain away.
Dg my dentist told me that sometimes the tooth pain is related to sinus problems. Not sure if that is you problem but thought I would give you the information just in case.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks Janet. Given how bad the pollen is this year, it would not be a surprise. Since this is the dry season, it is extra dusty as well. And I am blowing the leaves into a pile which kicks up dust. Plenty of dust to clog the sinuses.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:08 am

Sunday am

Did more yard work yesterday, but I was tired and it was hot. Back is bothering me a bit today. I must wear my brace. I messed with the front garden landscape timbers yesterday. I decided that I needed a bit more room to walk between the rows. So raked up the dirt and moved the timbers. It is better. More leaves have appeared. Raking them up and putting them in the garden. Leaves are free future garden soil. I have to keep that in mind. I am really excited to get mulch on top of them. The garden rows look so nice covered by the free composed mulch. It is predicted to cool down and I hope that is the case. I am not quite ready for the hot summer yet. Rain is likely on Tuesday, so I need to find a little time to move a few volunteer Mexican sunflowers. They are too crowded.

My skin condition, roseaca is acting up. Usually, they say it is sugar, spices, alcohol that causes a flare up. Haven't had any of those. But I did get red in the face from the heat. One of my neighbors walking by asked if I was ok. But I explained that my face gets beet red when I am hot. So last evening, my face had exploded in "pimples" Well, I have medicine for it, so I will put it on and it should be reduced in a couple of days. Cooler weather should help too.

I didn't get around to the hair color testing. That is ok. I just want it done before my trip although I am not too disturbed by the color it is, a mixture of grey and blonde and light brown. Goes well with my Florida skin color. I have a fair tan now. But more blonde and less grey would be ok too.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 am

Monday am

Cooler weather has arrived. House is down from 78F to 74F. Outside it is in the 50's. About the 20 degree difference. To be expected. Still pleasant inside, but it may not be an outside work day for me. I still feel like I am recovering from the disrupted "police helicopter" sleep 2 nights ago. I slept pretty well last night again. Some body aches from the cold front passage as expected.

We got a sprinkle of rain yesterday. Enough to keep me inside, but not enough to water the garden. I may water today. Rain is promised tomorrow, but may not be enough. Also still need to transplant some Mexican sunflowers. Cloudy days is better on newly transplanted flowers.

I do need to get salt for the softener. It is a 40 pound bag which is within my lifting ability. That is a trip to the big Walmart south of me. They sell salt about $2 cheaper than anywhere else. This may happen today. Make a couple of stops on the way back. See how that goes. Only appointment this week is the dentist tomorrow, cleaning and x-rays. Late next week, my girlfriend arrives for a couple of days and we are going to do a couple of girl things. Then the following week, I am off to Houston.

Watching for sales on Atkins low carb frozen meals. Dinners for hubs while I am gone.